What's new
What's new

Rebarreling Savage Action, Remington Shoulder Barrel Style?

Yes, it's been done. Just make your measurements for the tenon the same way as doing a Remington. I have also gone the other way and made a Savage style nut for a Remington.

Done many. Treat it like a push feed Winchester or Ruger 77. Savage 10, 11, 110 etc ring faces can be a bit "untrue" and require a squaring cut. I made gadgets to hold the floating bolt head rigid on the bolt body for lapping and squaring with a PTG style bolt face cutter. Maybe overkill but it worked out fine.

Done many. Treat it like a push feed Winchester or Ruger 77. Savage 10, 11, 110 etc ring faces can be a bit "untrue" and require a squaring cut. I made gadgets to hold the floating bolt head rigid on the bolt body for lapping and squaring with a PTG style bolt face cutter. Maybe overkill but it worked out fine.

Hi,
Thanks, I am going to make a mandrel, for the receiver, so I can true the face.

Do you have any pics of your bolt cutting set up???

Hi,
Thanks, I am going to make a mandrel, for the receiver, so I can true the face.

Do you have any pics of your bolt cutting set up???

I use the standard 8-bolt action truing fixture the same as a Remington instead of a mandrel for the action. I haven't trued the bolt head on a Savage yet, just lapping. Rustystud, who sometimes posts here has all the tricks worked out for Savage actions.

I made gadgets to hold the floating bolt head rigid on the bolt body for lapping and squaring with a PTG style bolt face cutter. Maybe overkill but it worked out fine.

Seems like an unneeded step to me.
I use the receiver tooling block and carbide face cutter most of the time; even if the lug abutments are "off" by a mile the cutter will true the boltface square to the receiver face. Can't be anything but "right".

What do you gain by treating it as a one-piece bolt? Seems to be defeating the entire purpose of the floating bolthead design.
If the lug abutments in the receiver aren't faced true, you can end up with lugs that might be square to the boltway- but poor contact. It would be no different that truing the lugs/boltface on a M700 bolt, but not truing the receiver abutments.

I don't see how this is advantageous?

Back