What's new
What's new

Reblueing end of the barrel and crown?

Captain1201

Plastic
I cut off the end of the barrel on one of my rifles, leveled it, and recrowned it. I highly polished the end of the barrel, and the new crown. I'm looking for a good finish to apply to the end of the barrel, but the "easy" blueing products don't seem to be very durable, and many of the reviews seem to indicate that they often wear off, even when sitting in the safe, unfired.

I've checked out things like Perma Blue, Super Perma Blue, OXPHO-Blue, Formula 44-40, and while they're easy, I worry about their durability, since this will be protecting the end of the barrel, and the abuse sustained there from firing the rifle is likely to deteriorate whatever of the "easy" reblueing products I might put on there. Plus this is on a black rifle, and these reblueing products are blue rather than black.

I've also looked into Express Blue, and while there are a few more steps to follow, it's still pretty easy to use, and it has the best series of reviews. But, I'm not sure it would protect the end the barrel/crown, versus being adequate for just reblueing the parts of a firearm that aren't subjected to high temperatures, carbon, pressures, etc...

Color doesn't really matter much I guess, as I'm going to be threading the end of the barrel for a muzzle break. So, the end of the barrel, and crown won't be visible unless you're looking into the bore.

Any alternarive suggestions for finishes that will protect the end of the barrel/crown? I do like "easy," but not sure which other "easy" types of finishes to consider, if there are any.

Blueing offers no rust protection. Bluing does hide the inevitable staining that you would get on a rifle left in the white. For this reason alone it has become the traditional finish for firearms.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO

Not going to matter with a brake on the muzzle
The crown will be covered with carbon in short order.
I've always used Oxpho to touch up crowns on blued rifles.

Back