What's new
What's new

Rechamber / Rebore H&R 158 30-30 options

TxMike

Plastic
I have a H&R M158 in 30-30 that I would like to rechamber and/or rebore to a different caliber. My initial thought is to convert it to 8x57R since it is a rimmed cartridge as well and I am partial to the 8mm bore size. Any suggestions on other cartridges to consider and gunsmiths to do the work?

Take all your available cash, put it in a pile and light it on fire.
I have an old Toyota and would like to convert it into a fishing vessel.
Any suggestions?

Not up on the H&R models but some of them are fairly strong. Do some checking to see if it could be reamed to 30/40. If the action is one of the strong ones it could be loaded to near Win .308 levels. If not load to standard 30/40 pressures. If the extractor groove is not compromised it should be an easy job.

Your limited by the pressure the sb1 reciever can take. Whatever cartridge you choose needs to be same pressure wise as the 30-30
I’d look at 38-55 or 32 win special

If you really must do this, consider sleeving the current barrel with a surplus Mauser barrel. Excellent condition barrels are cheap and readily available.

Nah if hes going to go with a case based on the 30-30 or something that will clean up the whole chamber then send it to JES reboring. I have a model 94 that he bored out to 38-55, its a hammer.

If you would like a wildcat, PO Ackley felt that his wildcat, the 30-30 Ackley was one of the very best. Easy.

Some of these alternatives wouldn't get Tx Mike the 8x57R.
Some especially great 8x57 barrels are being taken off the Yugo M-48 rifles and other than the sleeving, the rim recess would have to be recut.

Thank you for all the responses.

I have a H&R M158 in 30-30 that I would like to rechamber and/or rebore to a different caliber. My initial thought is to convert it to 8x57R since it is a rimmed cartridge as well and I am partial to the 8mm bore size. Any suggestions on other cartridges to consider and gunsmiths to do the work?

I have been considering some of the options. 30/30 AI is the easiest. 30/40 Krag is probably the most practical.

Just don't know. Already have a Marlin in 375 Win. Might consider the 38-55. Would probably make a great cast bullet gun.

Decisions.....Decisions.....

What is your objection to 30/30?.....Its so like the other mentioned alternatives ,there is certainly no point spending at least $250 on rebore /chamber.Certainly not on a gun that no one else will want for any more than its value today.

Scratch an itch. I use a 30/30 at least once a year to take a deer. I own several but usually default to "Trusty Rusty", the well worn Marlin 336 I've owned for a lifetime. I found a H&R 158 cheap at a pawn shop and bought it with the idea of a rechamber/rebarrel to an unusual caliber. If one were to look at deer rifles logically, only the 30-06 would be available as one can load it up or down in bullet weight, power, velocity, etc. Why would anyone need anything else? Since I handload, I have the flexibility to experiment. So what say ye?

Back