To refinish a new Winchester 1894
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a newer Winchester 94 that developed some of the strangest pitting I have ever seen on rifle. It does not look like typical rust but consists of distinct pits that are sort of white in color. The pits are surrounded by nice shiny blue finish - no rust as one might expect. In any case, I want to get it refinished but have heard that the 94 receivers were made of some alloy of steel that does react well to standard hot blue finishing. Can anybody tell me more about this? Has anybody had to have one of these guns refinished? Unfortunately, I cannot send it back to Winchester.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some Old ones (way pre 64as in the 1920's)were made with a high Nickel alloy that did not take or hold blueing well. Gary P. Hansen

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your gun has a ductile iron receiver. Winchester had to plate them with iron so they would blue in a conventional hot bath bluing system. It sounds like the iron plating is flaking off.

Brownells sells a special bluing salt for stainless steel that they say will also blue your gun.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...LUING+COMPOUND

So you just need to find a bluer that is using that system.

RWO