Relining the Mauser C96 Pistol Questions
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Relining the Mauser C96 Pistol Questions

I have one of the beat up Mauser C96 or commonly known as the Broomhandle pistols that needs some new rifling. I had originally sent it off to Redman's Rifling with a check for the work and return shipping that I got from his website which was shown to be $215.00 total - $195.00 for the work and $20.00 return shipping. A couple of weeks later I received a letter from him telling me the barrel had a bow in it and he DIDN'T KNOW if this would be a problem and that the price on the website is old and he needs more money to do the job! The new price was $250 total. The letter also stated that if I did not him to do the work, It would cost me $40.00 for his time and $38.00 return shipping for a total of $78.00 to get my barrel back! I replied that I did not want the work done (I will straighten the barrel first) and that he should return it to me based on costs detailed on his website. He returned the barrel to me and charged me $50.00 which included his examination of the barrel and return shipping. He also requested that I do not send him anymore work as he does need customers like me! The feeling is mutual.
    So now I am going to attempt to do the job myself and wonder if anybody here has done this job before. I have a plan worked out in my head how to do it but wonder if anybody here would or could provide me with any tips or suggestions?
    thanks for any ideas!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Website prices may be out of date but that is his responsibility, not yours. Might be interesting to see if he has corrected the website prices or he is false advertising to fish in customers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

dunlops book pistolsmithing has a chapter on this very subject iirc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's been nearly two months since I sent the barrel to him and there is no change to his website for the C96 reline prices.

Thanks Akajun - I do believe I have that book and will check it out.

AVON Guest

I would suggest that you file a complaint with the attorney generals of both your state and Redman's. They probably have an online complaint form. You can also make a complain with the FTC, Federal Trade Commission concerning the bait and switch tactics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just drill out the old barrel and glued in the liner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is what I intend to do but first have to determine which way the barrel is bowed. I made a dummy "bolt" and have that in the 4 jaw in the lathe but it is just a smidgeon to loose. Once I get that issue resolved, I'll put a pin gauge in the muzzle and indicate off of that to figure out which way the bow is. Next, I am guessing that I will need a stepped diameter liner, the large end to accommodate the chamber and a the smaller diameter to slip inside the existing barrel contour.

AVON Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    Next, I am guessing that I will need a stepped diameter liner, the large end to accommodate the chamber and a the smaller diameter to slip inside the existing barrel contour.
    This is often referred to as a rim or lipped liner. So done to keep the barrel liner from moving forward in the barrel.