What's new
What's new

Relining a Stevens 25RF to a 22LR

Sparky45

Aluminum
Anyone done this particular smithing before? Would the extractor; firing pin, ect. need to be altered?

The extractor for sure, the firing pin possibly.

The extractor is large enough to clear the outside of a .22 rim. You all, in the States have a couple different mail order sources, you will likely be able to buy a replacement. Be aware that there are a couple different styles, and a couple different width's (measure across the flat at the pin hole), so as to avoid unhappy surprises. If making it yourself, not that much an issue! :)

I figured that simply making a new pin and making the pin hole in the block bigger to cover the edge of the .22 rim, would be the easiest way to change out the width, if the pin did not already overlap enough.

Be aware that a steady diet of modern High Velocity ammo can bend the pins on a Favorite eventually. Much reduced issue if you stick to the Standard Velocity ammo or slower stuff like CCI Quiets.

I've put a .22 LR liner into a 1915 Stevens that was a .25 rimfire.
Extractor - too short, I just put a blob of TIG weld onto the end and re-machined the end.
Firing pin - the original worked OK for a few test shots - CCI Standard Velocity.
Extractor is a bit stiff but I think its just still a bit long and binding on the case.
I've only shot it about 20 rounds before I got side tracked onto something else.

What model Stevens?
There were a lot.

Uhhh... yeah..... LOL! Great point!

I was sorta thinking in terms of the Favorite, but I figure it's like as not, applicable to most of the .25's that would be considered for the conversion.

Their Maynard style tip up actions are a lot more rugged than the Favorites, and not as prone to shoot loose by what I have been told, and seen.

There is some comment in Cast Boolits site just recently about firing a 25rf Stevens by making cases from Hornet brass,and chambering the case for a 22rf sport blank as a primer.....the firing pin for the 25 is large enough to fire the 22 rim primer reliably........of course,the whole point of this is to use a mint 25rf barrel......if your bore is cactus,then reline for sure.

I've heard of people using Hilti .25 nail gun blanks and altering to fire a bullet.
Never done it, be careful.

Last edited:
The rifle in question is a model 1894. I think I'll try another route as suggested in which I just swap out barrels for a 22LR barrel. Again the extractor might be the only consideration right?

The rifle in question is a model 1894. I think I'll try another route as suggested in which I just swap out barrels for a 22LR barrel. Again the extractor might be the only consideration right?

Unless you happened to get one of the breech blocks with a firing pin that works just fine on a .25 case, but not on a .22...

Silver solder on a new tip, build up with TIG, or scratch build, if you cannot or do not wish to buy a new extractor.

Turning a used barrel to fit a Favorite action is none too difficult, and with care, you may be able to use the original chamber.

I found a NOS 22RF barrel to replace my 25RF. I bought the rest of my parts from Jim Wisner. Stevens Favorite 1889 / 1894 / 1915 | Wisner's Inc

Yeah, that link on their page shows six different extractors and the link sizes that go with.

Sadly, while the US Gov't does not seem to feel that any of us 'Foreigners' can be trusted to be able to buy parts for old guns like these by mail, they didn't seem too concerned about the goodies they left behind in the sandbox...

Got the new barrel in 22LR and the slot isn't wide enough to allow the extractor to slide in and out. Going to relieve the slot a thou or 3 and give it a go. Took everything out of the receiver except the hammer and trigger and did a inspection. Pins/screws are straight and as noted before the lever has a positive lock up. The 25 cal original barrel has a pretty smooth bore even after a vigorous cleaning so it will either be relegated to the scrap pile or used in some other application.

Back