What's new
What's new

Remington 700 long action ?

dave5496

Plastic
Is there any difference between a long action for say a 30-06 and a 300 win mag besides the bolt face? I have a long action and bolt with a .470 bolt face I am thinking of making into a 300 PRC. I can open up the bolt face or just buy one but I would like to know its safe to do so.

Opening the bolt face will remove the recess for the factory extractor. Then the only choice is a Sako or M-16 extractor. This compromises the "3-rings of steel" feature that Rem touts as an important safety factor. It is easier to buy a new bolt from someone like PTG. You could then sell the original bolt if you like.

The feed rails might need adjustment going from 30-06 to a bigger case, but I have not done it.

RWO

IMO, it’s better to buy the correct bolt. I have not opened up a 700 face though.

There are instructions available to remachine a Remington bolt for a magnum extractor, using a common key seat cutter I believe.

Do you have a link or source for that? Would be good info to have.

OP The feed rails on different calibers are quite different on Rem 700's. Also the well opening width, release points, and depth and length of the 22.5 degree cut on the bottom side of the lips. Mag boxes and followers are different too.

Bolt face mod for Remington Magnum extractor.

All I found on my PC. Thought I had a drawing of some sort.

'Set up the bolt with the lugs 8 degrees clockwise from vertical, ejector on the bottom. With the bolt face opened up to .525
use a .500 dia Woodruff cutter ground to .112 thickness. From center, move to the right to contact then cut .050 deep. Then up .060 + .0125. Then left .120 (.050+.025+.045).'

I've not tried this. Use at your own risk, cut a test piece, etc.

Back