What's new
What's new

Bore Indicator

Grits

Stainless
Has anyone seen the video done by Darrell Holland on custom barrel installation. He used an instrument to indicate the center of the bore. It was adjustable from 22 cal through 270 caliber. What is that instrument, is it any good, and where do you get one?

In the past I have made pins from brass; however, if this thing works, it would sure save a lot of time.

What do ya'll use to indicate the center line of the bore of a rifle in alathe?

Thanks

Grits

Why dont you just make one ?

I made one out of tool steel and polished it. I cut it about a half thousanths undersized and put a 1 degree taper on the front of the stud to center it.I made the indicationg part one half inch dia. and about one half inch long.
It works great and wasnt that big of a deal to make. Just tap it in and tap it out.

Simple and effective. Cheap too.

Grits,
What Holland used is an adjustable spud for a boresighter. I suppose it would work in a pinch but I don't see how it could be accurate. I use the ones from GTR that Kurt Westfall has provided a link for. Jim

I did not realize it was an adjustable spud for a bore slighter. I do not see how it could provide the accuracy I am looking for.

The range rods from PTG or the device that GTR sells seems to be the ticket.

Thanks everyone,

Grits

Back