What's new
What's new

Rifle stocks

mystry_tour

Aluminum
I am a machinest/woodworker. i was asked by my nephew if I would make a rifle stock for him. Can someone tell me where I migh get info on how to make a stock
Reg

I have never made a stock from scratch but I have done a couple from blanks i.e. a big chunk of wood that had a vauge resemblence to a stock. The most time consuming part is the finish (like most wood work). The nicer the desired finish the more time it takes. My favorite stock fininsh in Birchwood's truoil. I've done stocks with over 100 hand rubbed coats and it looks like you can fall into the finish and drown. Beware though the more coats and deeper finish you put on the more any underlying imperfections will show. Enjoy your project.

I have made a lot of stocks from scratch. If is not very hard. I have no plans, simply decide what I want it to look like and go to whittling. Look at any commercial stock and copy it. There are usually several books at the local library that give instructions on stock making.

I start with a chunk of wood and inlet it first. That way, if you screw up you don't have a lot of time invested.

Good luck

Blair

Their are a lot of good resources that cover stockbuilding. Clyde Baker and Roy Dunlap are a couple of good authors. Amazon has the books. As with any project, your level of interest and skill will determine your results. My grandad was a gunsmith by trade and built hundreds of stocks from scratch using hand tools. I was lucky to spend quite a bit of time learning from him during my adolecent years. I'm crowding retirement now and I still find his work in gun shops and on the internet. Good luck

Fred Wenig is great. I also am a woodworker and metalworker. Start with a semi inletted blank. Brownells has two very good videos on checkering and finishing. IMHO, the finishing video is great. That is the technique I have used for years and unbeatable from the quality standpoint. It is simple but it does take time and patients. A product I have used, and I am sure you are familiar with in you are a woodworker, is Waterlox.

Have fun and good luck.

Grits

Thanks for the input gentalmen and the sites....I am in no big hurry just looking for something to do to take up some down time later.......nice info
Reg

Back