Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OT:
    For you guy actually doing gun work..How close is the chamber end and the breach end to the center of the OD.

what are you finding on barrels..yes if you are even checking that)?). Not a whole lot you can do about it.

Is this different by manufacturer, and are high end guns better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 75sv1 View Post
    You can, but you'd have to know the form fault of the surface being measured. IE, how round is the round part. If we look at the flip side of this, a range rod is used, on the bore. Correct me if that is not correct. So, it is to 3 circumcised points, or at least five, since it would be a cylinder. I tried this example on a previous chambering thread. HK uses a fluted chamber. So, what is the run out? Is it concentric? Or even a spline on a shaft. The OP would need to index, ie mark the high spot. Rotate through. See if the high spot is in one direction only. I think some chambering processes do not use a piloted reamer.

Sir, the custom barrels that I use are gun drilled, reamed. and finished with a specialized Sunnen hone before rifling. Form fault? I was circumcised as an infant. As mentioned, you could chamber by hand, but I would only finish reaming by hand. A match grade barrel from the better barrel builders will be within .0001 in tolerance end to end of the bore. I'm saying bore size from end to end. Bores can meander through the barrel, but not in an arc as some call it.
    A range rod? What will it do for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    OT:
    For you guy actually doing gun work..How close is the chamber end and the breach end to the center of the OD.

what are you finding on barrels..yes if you are even checking that)?). Not a whole lot you can do about it.

Is this different by manufacturer, and are high end guns better.

It would only matter if you are chambering in the steady. If chambering through the headstock you indicate the bore and not the OD. Only time I check the OD is at the muzzle after threading and installing a muzzle device. Indicate the bore to turn and thread, then with the muzzle device installed, indicate the OD and turn the muzzle device to match the OD of the barrel.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    It would only matter if you are chambering in the steady. If chambering through the headstock you indicate the bore and not the OD. Only time I check the OD is at the muzzle after threading and installing a muzzle device. Indicate the bore to turn and thread, then with the muzzle device installed, indicate the OD and turn the muzzle device to match the OD of the barrel.
    Agree to that but was just wondering how centered to bore is expected to be to the OD.
    Seems better centered might effect better accuracy with a barrel getting warm/hot.
    What factors make the higher priced barrels better.
    Seems like Kenny Jarrett claims .0003 or some figure on size...
    Seems I read once .010 to center, and now a days that does not seem that close. I forget now what manufacturer or who said that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Agree to that but was just wondering how centered to bore is expected to be to the OD.
    Seems better centered might effect better accuracy with a barrel getting warm/hot.
    What factors make the higher priced barrels better.
    Seems like Kenny Jarrett claims .0003 or some figure on size...
    Seems I read once .010 to center, and now a days that does not seem that close. I forget now what manufacturer or who said that.

Harold Broughton sold Kenny his machines years ago when he (Harold) bought new stuff. I don't think Kenny's or anybody else's barrels are .0003 from bore center to OD. Most are contoured between centers on a CNC lathe.

6. Likes gappmast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can, but you'd have to know the form fault of the surface being measured. IE, how round is the round part. If we look at the flip side of this, a range rod is used, on the bore. Correct me if that is not correct. So, it is to 3 circumcised points, or at least five, since it would be a cylinder. I tried this example on a previous chambering thread. HK uses a fluted chamber. So, what is the run out? Is it concentric? Or even a spline on a shaft. The OP would need to index, ie mark the high spot. Rotate through. See if the high spot is in one direction only. I think some chambering processes do not use a piloted reamer.

"Form fault"? WTF are you talking about? The only results of a search for "form fault" is when a Datamax printer does not index the print, specifically a label.
    It does not matter of either feature is perfectly round. If you sweep it then you know that and you will know for instance if an oval is centered on a circle. One sweep will not tell you that.
    Don't try to blow smoke up our asses.

8. Likes Butch Lambert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is one of the things that happens when you use circumcised points instead of circumscribed points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes tdmidget, Butch Lambert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Sir, the custom barrels that I use are gun drilled, reamed. and finished with a specialized Sunnen hone before rifling. Form fault? I was circumcised as an infant. As mentioned, you could chamber by hand, but I would only finish reaming by hand. A match grade barrel from the better barrel builders will be within .0001 in tolerance end to end of the bore. I'm saying bore size from end to end. Bores can meander through the barrel, but not in an arc as some call it.
    A range rod? What will it do for you?
    Range Rods - Pacific Tool and Gauge
    I thought it was the term for the part you put in the barrel end so you can true it up. ???? Also, I believe it was not your barrel that the issue was with.
    TDMidget:
    I did a search for Form Fault. Gave me plenty of results. I narrowed it to Metrology. It gave Form Error.

Circumscribed and inscribed are basic geometry terms. I should have used inscribed.

Do we know this chamber is 'oval'?

Well, there are other gunsmithing forums. I won't waste my time here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought it was the term for the part you put in the barrel end so you can true it up. ???? Also, I believe it was not your barrel that the issue was with.
    TDMidget:
    I did a search for Form Fault. Gave me plenty of results. I narrowed it to Metrology. It gave Form Error.

Circumscribed and inscribed are basic geometry terms. I should have used inscribed.

Good luck on finding one that likes people who try to impress with words that they do not understand. Circumcise comes to mind. If you had looked in the metrology forum instead of trying to find a term to impress us you might have found that an oval can be concentric to a square. It doesn't have to be round.

13. Likes Butch Lambert, gappmast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TDMidget:

I know some people, mostly newbies, use range rods. Before commenting on this poll a few of the top BR gunsmiths and check their methods. Oval chamber? How do you ream an oval chamber.
    If you go to some of the gunsmith's forums and pick through the chaff, it might help you to learn how a gunsmith thinks and practices. You have a lot to learn young feller and I see your type on some of the gunsmiths forums. You need to visit a couple of the better barrel makers shops and they will give you a lesson on barrel making. You are leaving this topic because you don't like the answers that are given.

15. Likes gappmast liked this post