What's new
What's new

U.S. Springfield M1922 Cal. 22 rifle

JimK

Diamond
I have been granted temproary custody of a Springfield .22 target rifle.

I will be taking it to the range soon, I hope I can hit something with it, The peep hole in the Lyman Sight is teeny tiny.

Assembled Multitude:

What do we know about this model of Springfield rifle?

Please, please, don't link me anywhere.

I know the whole NRA blurb on this gun, what I want is personal experiences and tall tales and maybe a heads up about some quirk to be watchful for.

Anybody got half an idea of what these guns are going for lately?

The one I am babysitting ain't no jewel, but it isn't a wreck either. I wouldn't dare at the moment to affix an NRA rating to it.

Thanks in advance.

JimK:

I think the value of the Springfield .22 would top out at around $500. in near mint con. May be $200 or $300 for the one you described. It should shoot fine, provied there is not damage to the crown or wear to the crown from the improper use of a cleaning rod. It should beable to put holes in the X ring all day long, so long as you do your part.

Gary P. Hansen

jim .....shot one as a junior 60 yrs ago ..it was fully equal to the slo lock win.52's at that time ........if i remember ,the 2 stage trigger was set up w/ a better final pull than the 52's, course the later C& D triggers were clearly better, as well as the womack & its successors that were out in the 50's.............

best wishes
docn8as

I remember shooting a Springfield 22 target when I was way shorter than the rifle. We used to shoot at the ROTC range in the basement of a building on the University campus and they had a selection of Springfields and Winchesters you could borrow. A rifle club for pre-teen boys and girls. I wonder if they still allow that.

For what it's worth, the 24th Edition Blue Book of Gun Values (2003) puts a Model 1922-M1 at $485 for 60% grade, $1,000 for 90% and $2,500 for 100%. Yours clearly isn't 100% but most target rifles never get abused down to the 60% grade.

The later M2 22 Target Rifle is shown at $500 for a 60%, $700 for 90% and $1,500 for 100%.

And the Model 1922 NRA Variation is $1,000 for 60%, $1,725 for 90% and $2,500 for 100%.

I've found the Blue Book by SP Fjestad values to be reasonably accurate of retail prices. Be sure and tell us how it shoots.

Back