What's new
What's new

S&W 500 Magnum Barrel Nut

Jonathans

Aluminum
Here is a picture of the barrel nut I want to use to replace the muzzle brake.
Icannot find a wrench for it and S&W have not returned my calls. I’ve checked the typical online gunsmithing suppliers as well. Let me know if there is a wrench system I don’t know about!
F0C5FAB8-2766-43C4-9001-E13F9F5FDCD5.jpg

I made hundreds of thread caps with knurled ODs to replace muzzle breaks. Never thought about how they tightened them. I always thought they were just finger tight. Maybe they wrapped a piece of leather around them and used pliers? If you have not purchased the nut already it might be easier to make your own knurled nut.

Last edited:
Is this to retain the shroud around the barrel (liner)? Or does the 50 have a conventional barrel?

Looks like the shape could be driven by a plate with some pins set in it at the right spacing. Maybe eyeball what diameter fits in there, and figure the spacing from that.

The 500 magnum has a tensioned barrel. ThIs nut has to be torqued to provide that tension

OK, I understood a thread protector to replace a screw on muzzle brake. Use an old socket that fits the torque wrench? If you do not have one with enough wall thickness to mill that profile, then mill the profile on a short slug of hex bar stock. Easy enough to do with a milling machine and a 5C collet indexer. Keep it short to prevent errors with your torque reading. One time use the adapter does not need to be that hard.

Back