What's new
What's new

Salerno method

Rifleman111

Plastic
I’m trying to find someone who can do the Salerno method To reline the barrel to a type 30 arisaka. everywhere I’ve looked about relining high power rifle barrels says it can’t be done. But I know that’s simply not true. The Finns did it to old mosin barrels, the brits did it to vickers machine gun barrels and the Italians invented the method and used it on old worn out carcanos and called it tubata/tubato. I’m really hoping with the massive amount of knowledgeable people on this forum that someone can help me

I don't know what the Salerno method was, but, the problem with relining high pressure barrels is the liner must include the chamber and the fit in barrel's interior must be very close with no voids to expand into.. Since the liner is essentially a new, skinny barrel, there is little practical need for the procedure. If you want to preserve the original barrel's markings and contour, be prepared to pay. I would imagine that few barrel smiths want to bother with the precision tolerances and liability exposure for a on-off job.

RWO

As RWO stated, relining a high pressure rifle barrel is fraught with issues waiting to happen.

Relining an old 22 rimfire or an old 32 claiber blackpowder gun is relatively simple.

Relining a smokeless powder rifle that's supposed to contain an explosion that can develop 50,000 psi... nope, not me. If it's a shooter, just rebarrel it. If it's a collectors piece, hang it on the wall and look at it.

As for the Salerno method... yes, it happened. It was a WWI expedient to convert the existing stock of old black powder cartridge rifles to the new, then standard, 6.5 Carcano round. It worked in that it allowed the Italian government to put their stockpile of obsolete black powder 10.4x47mm Vetterli rifles into service with rear echelon troops who needed to be issued a rifle but were not expected to use them much, if at all. Even then, it was observed that a large number of the relining jobs had issues that made them unsuitable for front line service. The biggest benefit was that all Carcanos could be sent to the front lines while keeping the illusion that the REMFs were also well armed, which helped slow down trench raids during a critical time for the Italian government.

Any reason that you just can't have a new barrel made for the Type 30 Arisaka? Either that or maybe find a donor rifle with a better barrel. If it is too "collectible" to do that just hang it on the wall and buy another one for shooting.

JMHO

-Ron

If I could find someone to make a new barrel that would be so much better! But so far I haven’t been able to find any specs on threading rifling pattern and the like. Everyone I’ve found so far only makes barrels for t38 receivers and I just don’t know if the barrels are interchangeable. If they are I’ll just buy an early t38 barrel and throw it on there!

The Italians did also do it to existing early production m91 carcano rifles that had excessive throat wear. m91 rifles that under went the Salerno method are stamped tubata on the shank

The type 30 had a bore dia. of .256" and a groove dia. of .269". Rifling was right hand twist, 6 grooves: 1-7.88" .

No info on barrel shank threads.

RWO

Back