What's new
What's new

Satern Rem 700 Receiver Blanks Review

Doug W

Hot Rolled
1st off, no connection, no compensation, yada yada.

I saw these a while back and finally got around to ordering three.

Bolt Action Receiver Extrusion Blanks | SATERN(R) Barrels

Received them today and I am impressed. The bores on mine will barely allow a stock Rem bolt in the bore and lugways are a tight fit.
I prefer everything undersize so after heat treat they can be opened up to a oversize PTG bolt and lugway imperfections polished out w/o ending up sloppy.

A bargain at $37.50 each, includes material certs (USA made) and some specs.
I don't know if it is their policy or I just live a charmed life but no shipping cost was added on either.

Their website says they are out of stock, but I called and they said they had a few left and more were coming.

Attachments

• DSCN3488.jpg
    DSCN3488.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN3489.jpg
    DSCN3489.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCN3490.jpg
    DSCN3490.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 191
Well it is seamless tubing which is pierced and rolled hot. Basically hot forging, usually considered a good thing on gun receivers and frames.

I see Plymouth Tube the manufacturer has some You Tube videos of their process for 4130 tube. They start with pre manufactured seamless tubing.
It is cold drawn after annealing, and annealed again at the end of rolling then straightened.
Promoly 4130 Cold Drawn Seamless Tubing - YouTube

It is received annealed so it has to be heat treated and so could be stress relieved.
I will harden to 36Rc before any machining.

I have always 'heard' this is how Rem does it, but can't offer any proof.

My only real concern would be warpage during/post heat treat. That's why I have ALWAYS worked with pre-hardened steel for actions. I would however be curious to hear about your experience post heat treatment.

Tubing?? It will be interesting to see how bad it warps when you take a cut off the OD. Is tubing safe to use as a reciver?

Providing it is seamless (DOM) there is no reason I can think of why it wouldn't... Other than warpage from heat treat. In fact, the grain refinement from cold drawing may well be an advantage.

Remington starts with solid bar, bores it and threads it, and then broach cuts the bolt ways. At least that was how they were doing it in 98 when I went through a tour of the line at Illion.
Mike

Back