What's new
What's new

saw blade type for cutting brass cases

indychuck

Aluminum
Can I have a recommendation on the type of blade that is needed for this saw for the best results in cutting my brass cases?

It appears this blade will turn at 7800 RPM. I'm more interested in a clean cut vs. cutting them in a hurry. Speed is not the goal, but a nice clean cut is.

I would start with the fine blade, that's going to give a cleaner cut than an abrasive wheel. No idea if the blade that comes with it is any good but should be a decent start. Lots of guys using the Harbor Freight version.

I would start with the fine blade, that's going to give a cleaner cut than an abrasive wheel. No idea if the blade that comes with it is any good but should be a decent start. Lots of guys using the Harbor Freight version.

Is there a tooth number or a way to determine more precisely what a fine blade is?

A fine blade for one person may not be for another. A tooth count or a link to a saw blade that will work with brass cases would be appreciated.

Thanks

Is there a tooth number or a way to determine more precisely what a fine blade is?

A fine blade for one person may not be for another. A tooth count or a link to a saw blade that will work with brass cases would be appreciated.

Thanks

Think of it like a band saw blade for thinner metal. You would like to have 1 1/2 to 2 teeth engaged in the cut so a 6tpi isn't any good for 20 ga steel but works fine for 1" bar stock. It is tooth pitch distance that matters. A 60 tooth 3" blade is a lot finer than a 60 tooth 8" blade. You can get away with a coarser blade in brass and aluminum than with steel. Case wall thickness is probably about .020" where you are cutting so look for something close to that. I doubt you can go too fine. I know that guys are using the standard blade that comes in the HF unit with decent results. Figure out what that is and compare to the one in your link or just by the HF one, it's cheaper anyway.

I have no experience cutting brass cases with a saw but have cut many hundreds of aluminum arrow shafts with a thin abrasive wheel at 25000 rpm. They were cut clean but that was rather hard aluminum.
Brass cases are softer, even with the best blade for brass it is hard to imagine not having to follow up with deburring and chamfering with VERY sharp tools.

I use that saw (but from Harbor Freight) and whatever came on it works just fine for 300blk conversion from 5.56.

Back