What's new
What's new

see thru/under scope mounts for browning BAR

MeanMachine1980

Aluminum
Hello Everyone

Im trying to find a scope mount that raises the scope up and allows a sight line to the iron sights on a Browning BAR.

These used to be very popular back in the day and I think there is still a company that makes them. Ive seen a couple brands, one of them is called the "iron sighter".

Anyways all the old ones or used ones Ive seen are for a 25mm tube. I need it for a 30mm tube. Does anyone have any ideas I thought about using a pic base and basic high rings but the iron sights are so low that the pic base gets into the way....

Thanks

I see your from Minnesota but are you sure your not from Louisiana? Those things on top of a Rem 742 or BAR were a coonasses wet dream for hunting with dogs. I always found them worthless esp with modern scopes with wide fields of view and variable power. I dont think they were ever manufactured for 30mm tubes as they were not in fashion when those rings were.

I see your from Minnesota but are you sure your not from Louisiana? Those things on top of a Rem 742 or BAR were a coonasses wet dream for hunting with dogs. I always found them worthless esp with modern scopes with wide fields of view and variable power. I dont think they were ever manufactured for 30mm tubes as they were not in fashion when those rings were.

I hear ya on that one!! I hate those things as well. I tried to talk my cousin out if them but he insists..

Some of the high rings have enough materiel that you could drill or machine out the centers to see thru. Possibly mill the center of the bases also. A low power variable scope, 1-4x or 6x,would be much better as you can maintain the same cheek weld.

I had a set on my rifle years ago, because I did not "trust" a scope, based on stories I had heard about seeing "nothing but hair"...I did not know anything about proper cheek weld. When I was convinced to try new mounts, I was amazed how much easier it was to shoot... tell him he doesn't want anything like that, and keep the low side power real low, and he will be better off.

Back