What's new
What's new

Shim Betwee Bayonet Lug and Barrel

The Wizard

Plastic
I want to install a bayonet lug on my Springfield SAR 48 (FAL) rifle to mount a M7/M9 bayonet on it. I thought I might have to build one for scratch but I found a lug off a Galil .308 ARM. I though it would work until I measured the inside diameter of the lug and the outside diameter of the barrel. ID .655 OD .618 There is a gap all around between the lug and the barrel of .0185. Any suggestions? Is a cylindrical shim with a wall thickness of .0185 possible? I was planning on using silver solder or Loctite 680 to secure it to the barrel.

It only has to be what, a quarter inch wide? Get a piece of 3/4" round bar, turn the outside to fit the hole and bore a hole in the middle of the desired diameter. If you are going to mount the bayonet and fire a bunch of rounds, I would imagine that Loctite or soft solder would melt. Assuming you can remove the lug from the bayonet, silver solder would work. If you can't remove it and have to work next to the scales, I would put a few TIG tacks and let it ride. Cool between tacks.

Ignore the above; I tried to use strikeout type but that doesn't work here. See my post at homegunsmith.

You can buy a fal flash hider and bayonet for less than $30 . Is the amount of work required to us an American bayonet worth it?

Back