What's new
What's new

Shotgun choke reaming and tapping

rockinhtactical

Plastic
How would you use your lathe to ream and tap a vent rib barrel for chokes; and what companies make those reamers and taps, specifically for the Browning Gold?

I,am no expert on shotguns, but i would set it up the same as a chamber reaming. One end in a spyder and the other in the chuck, if you use a 4 jaw the rib should fit between the jaws, for the reamer try Brownells, or Midway. O be sure theres enought barrel left to be safe first.

A spider is just a pipe that fits the back of the lathe spindle, 4 bolts holes are taped in it, just like a cheep 4 jaw chuck. Its used in the same way a chuck is, you center the front and back of the barrel so it runs true from end to end. You make them.

Kurt-
After measuring from chuck to end of spindle, the barrels would be to short(20-22")to pass through to use a Spider. Maybe some type of collar that would slip over the barrel, with a slot cut into it for the vent rib, and that could run in a steady rest, with the chamber chucked? How do the pro's do it?

Sounds like a plan to me. Don't know how the pro's do it, but would guess your way is darn close. I would try it on something first just to see how it works out before doing the real thing.

This is what I made to work on barrels.
000_0053.jpg

<p>just put something between the screw and barrel to protect the finish. Works very good.
Jim

Back