What's new
What's new

Shotgun Choke Tap

tenmetre

Plastic
Hi everyone, I am looking for the tap to thread shotgun barrels for Winchester and Remington chokes.
I have had one on order for a couple months now but all I get back from the supplier every time I enquire is "it will take about two weeks".

My customers are starting to get a bit twitchy now so I was hoping someone here had one they might want to sell?

Thanks in advance.

Alternately, any city that has any vestigial remnants of industry, likely has at least one, likely more, CNC Tool And Cutter grinding shops that should be well able to make a tap for you, provided you can provide them with specs and tolerances.

I see it as .808 diameter at 32 tpi. Didn't think of making custom chokes. Just a wide funnel on the inside and a thread on the outside of thin wall cylinder. Only 1.5" long.

Hi everyone, I am looking for the tap to thread shotgun barrels for Winchester and Remington chokes.
I have had one on order for a couple months now but all I get back from the supplier every time I enquire is "it will take about two weeks".

My customers are starting to get a bit twitchy now so I was hoping someone here had one they might want to sell?

Thanks in advance.

I see you are in the UK, exactly what size taps are you after, Imperial or Metric plus TPI or pitch?
Tony

Brownell's shows a Manson Win Choke Tap in 12ga available in stock. The Rem Choke is out of stock. MidwayUSA shows the PTG Rem Choke on backorder.
There is this comment in the Brownell's specs; "Uses the same tap and bushings as Win-Choke, requires a different reamer to position threads in a different location. Barrels threaded to this system accept Rem-Choke-style and Remington factory tubes."
Do you already have the reamer? You could try Manson directly, Dave Manson Precision Reamers | Buy the Best to Build the Best Have them ship it as machine tooling, not gun tooling.

some of the co. that rent clambering reamers also rent choke tube reamers / taps

Thank you everyone for your time. @milgunsmith I have had the tap on order with Dave Manson (whose fine chambering reamers I use) for a good while now. Brownells want the equivalent of $345 for something Dave Manson will charge me $150. I wouldn't pay it on principle. Yes I will pay duty, being in the UK, but that is taking a lend of people.

I have sent a note to the kind gentleman above who is also in the UK and I await his reply. I have the reamers already.

Could you get a small ID threading bar and single point the threads? I had thought about trying the same thing on an old single shot I had.

While on the subject, there's something I've been wondering. With most other operations such as threading a muzzle brake, everyone says to single point the threads for concentricity, yet with shotgun chokes the consensus seems to be "use a tap". What's up with that?

The piloted tap and reamer will make sure that any choke tube of that style will fit properly. Also less likely to distort the thin walls of a shotgun barrel while cutting. It is recommended that the reamer be used in a lathe, and the tap used by hand in a padded vise. Can it all be done with a lathe instead of tooling? Yes, but the time involved in setting up the barrel and getting the dimensions right would more than outweigh the cost of the tooling. Think about this, when chambering a barrel, reamer instead of a boring tool for the reason of easy repeatability and keeping the chamber within SAAMI or CIP specs. Yes, chambers have been cut with boring bars, but the work involved is not worth the expenses.

Let me ask a different way. Why would you buy an expensive reamer and tap set when you have a lathe? Is there something unique about the job that makes using a lathe difficult?

if its a one off and a labor of love ok but if you want to keep your hair and or your a smith doing it as a paying job then . now it would be interesting to see how the big boys are doing it .

The piloted tap and reamer will make sure that any choke tube of that style will fit properly. Also less likely to distort the thin walls of a shotgun barrel while cutting. It is recommended that the reamer be used in a lathe, and the tap used by hand in a padded vise. Can it all be done with a lathe instead of tooling? Yes, but the time involved in setting up the barrel and getting the dimensions right would more than outweigh the cost of the tooling. Think about this, when chambering a barrel, reamer instead of a boring tool for the reason of easy repeatability and keeping the chamber within SAAMI or CIP specs. Yes, chambers have been cut with boring bars, but the work involved is not worth the expenses.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Back