What's new
What's new

Silencer monocores

Dicks4fingers

Aluminum
I've made larger full sd style silencers on 9mm guns before and they're all mouse fart quiet but this one is going to have about only 6 inches of length on a core that's 1.865 in diameter. Way less room for error if I want this thing to work well. Anyone have any known good cores?

Does mine look stupid?

https://i.ibb.co/3f330hp/Screenshot-20220125-133448-Gmail.jpg

Trying to keep it 3axis

Form 1 cleared in like 20 days on the new eforms btw.

Given what I have seen out there, no, it doesn't look stupid, it does however look like it could do with some asymmetry and some variations in the sizes of the different chambers.

Nobody seems to be going with regularly spaced, symmetrical chambers these days. The regularly spaced, seems to be about trying to change as many frequency ranges as possible, with mixed short and long chambers.

Almost every example of silencer/suppressor tech I have seen out there seems to depend on the high speed gasses being twisted off the main path through the suppressor as a means of getting the gasses cooled down. As long as you don't have to actually produce this with an indexer mounted on a rotary table, you may just as well play around with that too!

Its meant to kind be a 2d approximation of k baffles. Just the run time on this thing is like under 10 minutes lol. Trying to keep it to stuff where I can do it on lunch beacuse I'm lazy.

Rotate pockets #2-3-4-5 some.

test.png

Here's a mono in PDF 3D (you need to download it and then open in Acrobat Reader). Your Reader may ask a question about allowing the 3D content to be displayed. After I ok'd that question I had to click on the page for the 3D object to be displayed.

Two tricks to try with mono's.
1) don't bore all the way out the other side, leave a 1/32 to 1/16" wall, and then rotate the bar 180deg for the next bore, repeat. This helps to keep pressure from escaping out the sides of the pockets.
2) use steel coil o-rings on each end, carve a groove for the o-ring to sit in about 80% so that the end cap (ends) will "crush" the o-ring down making a seal. This seals the mono from the shell ends, helping to keep gas inside the core.

Rotate pockets #2-3-4-5 some.

test.png
the issue with doing that is it leads to thin spots if you're packing everything in tight. rotating everything and leaving the metal thick enough will waste a lot of space. I ended up going with a larger first blast chamber and it works pretty damn good. also made the last baffle much smaller.

Back