What's new
What's new

Silencers For My .17 HRM

Hello,
Does any1 know if a .22 silencer would work for a Marlin .17 HRM? If so does any1 know where to get some good layouts for a slincer?
Thank You,
Ground Hog Killer

[ 12-20-2004, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: GGaskill ]

Now don't take this the wrong why i'm just wondering and i have no plan on killing any thing but multipul groud hogs in the same feild. I'm fully aware of all the legal "stuff" to.
Thank You,
Ground hog killer

Ok,
Do u know much about how to ubtaining a Class 3 dealer licences? Is there any prior knowledge needed? Where would u go to get it?
Ground hog killer

call the ATF. Find a class 3 dealer in your area to pruchase one.

for info you could contact the makers of them. AWC thunder trap etc.

In order to obtain your Class III license you must first have a Federal Firearms License. But in order to legally make a supressor, you don't need any of that. Application may be made by completing a Form 1-Application to make and register a firearm. This is sent in to the NFA Branch of the ATFE along with the other required documents and $200. After you receive the approved form 1 back you can begin your build. More info on this can be found at www.subguns.com.

A word of advice. The .17HRM is a very fast bullet. By supressing a .17 HRM you are simply making things quieter "at the gun" as the bullet will still make alot of noise as it breaks the speed of sound.

[This message has been edited by FAL Guy (edited 11-23-2003).]

I agree FAL guy, he would be silly to try this, maybe if he wanted to be quiet about it he should poison them critters.LOL

1. Check with Gemtech they make one that will prolly do better than your homebrew.

2. Making it quiet at the gun is half the point.

3. If the bullet is moving faster than the speed of sound, you will kill your target BEFORE it can hear the round coming.

4. In localities where people call the police at the slightest sound of gunfire (think yuppies that have moved to the country) suppressors are great.

5. Check your hunting regs, many states do not allow suppressors for the taking of game animals.

Groundhog,

I read a post about a guy who used his 22lr suppressor for the 17 HMR. He said it worked well, for the most part. The crack of the high speed bullet was still present, but not as loud as the 22 rimfire mag. The only real problem was the erosion of the first baffle downstream of the muzzle. It was made out of aluminum, so it would not take the beating from the hotter powder charge. Making the blast baffle out of stainless will eliminate this problem. Check out http://www.geocities.com/kaiya_bird/plans.htm for some of my drawings. I have completed the 300 whisper can, but am still tinkering with the other drawings. Follow Fal guy's advice and do not start construction until your form 1 is approved and in your hands.

Not trying to start an arguement, but the info FAL gave wasn't quite right. You don't have to have a FFL in order to get the permit for a silencer.(I own one and have never had an FFL)
I didn't build mine, it came on a class III gun I wanted. Had to have a permit for the gun and the silencer because it would detach from the gun.($400)
You do have to submit the plans and application fee in order to build your own, and wait till they give you the go ahead before starting to collect the materials. Don't jump the gun because the penalty for getting caught is way more than you want to pay. The hardest part of obtaining a class III weapon in states that allow them is getting the CLEO to sign off on it. No CLEO, no permit. There are ways to get one without the CLEO signature, but that is another story. In answer to your original question, I don't know for sure, but my thoughts are the .22 size hole would allow too many sound waves to escape thus making it louder than it needs to be (which is why they sell 9mm instead of just selling .45's to everybody.)I think you would be disappointed with the results, especially since it is a supersonic round.
David from Jax

Just an addition to Sandman's comments. On the Form 1 you do NOT necessarily have to submit plans. I went this route on three supressors and merely credited known design concepts such as Maxim and Sionic type...I wasn't trying to advance the state of the art.

Don't flinch about the work involved in doing Form 1's. There is simply no greater joy than having all your legal ducks in a row and being able to answer that friendly officer..."Why yes, I DO have my paperwork, it IS cool, and would you like to give it a try?" $200 bucks? Nah...it's PRICELESS!

Just went the route myself and did not submit any plans. It took the ATF 4 months to do the paper but I finally got it and built my own for a .300 Whisper. Works great too.

My thought would be to forget trying to silence the .17...its jus too danged fast. If you want to get real quite, just use a .22 with subsonic ammo that you can get anywhere.

I stand corrected on the statement I made in error to falguys reply. Hopefully I didn't make any enemies, or cause anyone to go to jail.

My silencer is an AWC... a .22 caliber on a .223 machinegun. Since the .223 is also supersonic, the gun isn't quiet, but it does help with the overall noise.
If your worried about the animals hearing it, your not shooting them in the right place. The bullet should reach there long before the sound. It should help with the irate neighbors, if it is legal to shoot game with it in place(?)
David from jax
My CLEO normally wouldn't sign for a silencer, but did for a machine and a 22" pump shotgun. He
only did for me because mine was on a gun without a chance of being silenced.
However it is removable, and has it's own permit. Go figure.
david

Ground Hog Killer,

Just to try an summarise, on what some of the others have said here:

The .17HRM is a super sonic cartridge. What this means is that the bullet travels faster than the speed of sound. In a gun shot, there are 3 main things that make up the noise we hear.

1. Bullet traveling faster than the speed of sound, this makes a mini sonic boom and is heard as a crack.

2. The gases rapidly exiting the barrel.

3. Mechanical noise. (usually only a problem with auto loaders.)

In order to suppress a gun shot, you need to be using subsonic ammunition so that there's no soinic boom. I don't know of a manufacturer that makes subsonic .17, probably because it would be outgunned by .22 Rimfire subsonic balistically.

The silencer or suppressor is used to suppress the noise the gases make when they exit the barrel, by slowing their velocity and cooling them.

In order to legal own a suppressor in the US as an individual, you would need to either purchase a legally manufactured and registered one using a BATF Form 4. or make one using a BATF Form 1.

Useful information on this can be found by reading James Bardwell's FAQ on NFA weapons.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt

As some of the others have suggested, go to my site at http://www.subguns.com and check the NFA message board here:http://subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions at: [email protected]
Make sure you put Mike in the message body somewhere so it doesn't get knocked out by my anti spam filters.

Mike

Mike, good to see a fellow subgunner here. I've been on that board since the MGN days. Never bothered with a BCR# but have visited every day that I've had a computer available. Great space and great group of guys.

For the sake of this thread, interest in machine guns and silencers can be handled with perfect legality. The above site is a great resource and will expose you to many very knowledgeable people.

BTW, Just got my Type07 FFL and SOT.
[email protected]

Back