What's new
What's new

Silver soldering on barrel.

ossi

Aluminum
Hi there.
I have a baikal 12ga single barrel that I plan to put sights on.Front sight will be no problem.Rear sight I want to solder on the barrel above the chamber.Problem is that the locking lug is silver soldered to the barrel so Im a little fraid to solder /heat that end.Chamber walls are about 1/8" thick so drilling is not an option.
Any suggestions? Will be making the gohst ring type sight my self so I can compensate for any method.
Acraglass maybe?
Thanks in advance.
Össi
Iceland

Try to make the ghost ring as light as possible with as large as possible a base. Then use Brownells Hi-force 44 solder which melts at 475. Trying to ensure the streangth of the solder at the locking lug and silver soldering the chamber would be hard.

If you must use silver solder try a lot of heat stop paste and get on and off the sight quick.

Another method I have herd of is submerging the part to keep cool in water. I would not think that would work very well though.

submerging or wrapping w/ wet cloths is very useful & effective if u have a sufficient heat source ( torch ,buzz box )

best wishes
docn8as

Thanks for your ideas.I think I will do it by having the lug in water and soldering it.
Össi Iceland

Won't you get a lot of steam at the temps needed for silver solder? That is why I have not tried it. Please let us know how it works out.

Instead of Brownells Hi-force 44 solder, you can find the same type solder, a silver bearing solder, at any refrigeration supply house and save on price and shipping. Most carry two types, both tin and silver alloys. Buy the one that has the 7 or 8 percent silver content for it has the greater strength. It's melting point is the same as Hi-force. A way to stop the solder from going where you don't want it is to use welders chalk stick rubbed on where you don't want the solder to run.

Back