What's new
What's new

Skanaker CO2 pistol resealing problems

Jim Williams

Stainless
I have a Skanaker (Crosman 88) CO2 pistol that I am attempting to replace the seals in. The factory does not support this gun, and non of the airgun suppliers furnish seals. Have any of you gunsmiths had any experience with these pistols? I made up the special tools necessary to take the main valve apart, and have found o rings satisfactory to replace several of the seals. The others will have to be fabricated or molded. The gun is somewhat scarce. I understand that total production was around 500 units.

That is the pistol. Crosman designed it with help from Ragnar Skanaker, a Swedish free-pistol champion. For various reasons, this world class target pistol did not sell. Crosman probably lost money on the ones they produced, considering the engineering and the cost of the tooling. They were a glut on the market by 1991, and Crosman and their dealers sold them for a pittance. The seals deteriorated and they became inoperative. Several US shops would service them, but have stopped doing work on them. Crosman offers no service and no parts. A company in the UK still makes seals and reworks the guns, but due to claimed legal issues he will not ship anything to the US.

Have any of you gunsmiths had any experience with these pistols? I made up the special tools necessary to take the main valve apart, and have found o rings satisfactory to replace several of the seals. The others will have to be fabricated or molded.

-My day job is, in fact, rebuilding and modifying airguns. In this case, specifically paintball guns, but as many of them were originally built off of "pellet" guns, the mechanisms are of course similar.

Of late, a fair chunk of my work has been to recreate now-obsolete seals, for guns now old enough that their polyurethane seals have depolymerized.

I haven't gotten into "pellet" guns specifically as there's already plenty of competent shops out there- and sometimes I have enough trouble keeping up with my own niche's advances :D - but if the seals remain elusive, drop me a line. I can either punch, turn or mold a wide variety of seals, from a variety of materials.

Doc.

Was going to reply with my assistance as I too have been an airsmith for quite a long time doing customs and specials. But Doc is THE guy for this. Ill sit back and watch.

Doc,

I will have dimensions of the breech seal as soon as I reassemble part of the gun. I designed a mold to cast the polyurethane in, but haven’t machined it. If I run into any difficulties I will be back to you. Do you have a web site?

Back