What's new
What's new

SKS tangent sight disassembly

magneticanomaly

Titanium
Today the tangent sight suddenly appeared loose on my Romanian SKS. Inspection showed that the flat spring under it, the rear end of which is supposed to hook in a slot in the sight base, so that the front end can push the front end of the tangent up so the rear end stays down, was loose. The spring had moved forward out of the slot, and fell out when the rifle was turned upside-down

It looks like the spring is supposed to be kept from working out of the slot by a dimple which engages a hole in the base. Looks like it would be easy to reinstall it, IF I could take the tangent piece out. Looks like the tangent piece would slide out to the rear IF a tiny pin, that protrudes from the left trunnion but not the right, would come out...but it won't.

Probably I am completely on the wrong track.. I'd be grateful if someone would straighten me out.

TIA!

If I recall correctly, the rear sight is designed to be removed by pressing down on the pivot point and pulling it to the rear.
Easier said than done.
I find it works best if you get someone to hit the pivot point with a brass punch and you pull the sight to the rear.
I won't likely have the time to take photos and write a full article.
Maybe you can take some pics and show us the pin at the trunnion.
And I have NOS springs if you need.

Today the tangent sight suddenly appeared loose on my Romanian SKS. Inspection showed that the flat spring under it, the rear end of which is supposed to hook in a slot in the sight base, so that the front end can push the front end of the tangent up so the rear end stays down, was loose. The spring had moved forward out of the slot, and fell out when the rifle was turned upside-down

It looks like the spring is supposed to be kept from working out of the slot by a dimple which engages a hole in the base. Looks like it would be easy to reinstall it, IF I could take the tangent piece out. Looks like the tangent piece would slide out to the rear IF a tiny pin, that protrudes from the left trunnion but not the right, would come out...but it won't.

Probably I am completely on the wrong track.. I'd be grateful if someone would straighten me out.

TIA!

Check the Tech-Site installation guide. Fully described video of removal.

Working with the barrelled action in the stock, one method is to make a loop of cord around the fore stock to serve as a fulcrum for a lever to press the spring and remove the sight.

With the action out of the wood, a bench vise along with a suitable pressing tool (1/4 inch socket drive extension works perfectly)

SKS dissassembly at DuckDuckGo pick one ;-)

Tiny retaining pin would not budge. Had to break it off. I annealed the spring, deepened the dimple, tapered it a bit to reduce stress concentration, re-hardened, re-tempered. Have to drill out the rest of the pin, which I will replace since it prevents loss of the leaf if the spring breaks.

Thanks for the ideas, and offer of spring .

Back