What's new
What's new

Small tubing to shoot bullets used by Israeli assasination squad?

rons

Diamond
That movie about the retaliation action that Israel did after the Olympic Games massacre in early seventies.
Assasination squad sent abroad to avenge the killing of their athletes.
I don't remember the name of the movie but Daniel Craig was in it. They had these 2 foot tubes that fired bullets
by pulling back/letting go of a firing pin on the back end of the tube. They were silenced when fired in the movie.
Real or just a movie gimmick? Something like that can be hidden in a bicycle frame tube.

The scene when they executed that naked woman who killed one of their party.

Last edited:
The movie is "Munich". I believe what they used was a basic 'bang gun'. The round being at the very tip, it doesn't report loudly since the gas dissipates immediately. Also doesn't require proper gun metal, as it isn't holding or maintaining pressure.

Saw a 12g one over in the sandbox, but never got to try it out.

Yeah, that's the name. The tube diameter looked like for a .22. But I've shot .22 before from a short pistol and a rifle. Always a loud report.
So I wonder what kind of round is used. A standard .22 long rifle round is too much powder. Are they special rounds or standard? The long tube
looked to me like the length functioned as a silencer.

In 1993 a millwright friend of mine was showing me around his machine shop. He opened a drawer and handed me a bolt and asked me if I had ever seen a bolt like that. It was about 5/8" in diameter and about 6 or 7 inches long. I could see a faint line around it just above the threads, another below the head and the thread end was hollow. I handed it back to him and he unscrewed the threads at the line and that was chambered for a .22LR. When the head was pulled, it was spring loaded and when released the firing pin hit the cartridge.

He told me that he went to the west coast to quote a job with the bolt in his carry-on bag. The ticket agent asked to see his carry-on and asked about the bolt. He said it was a special bolt to show a customer and all was fine.

Bob
WB8NQW

Dates back to at least the 50s in the USA. They were called Zip Guns, and were often made from the beefy automobile antenna tubing of the day with a piece of inner tube as a spring.

About the crudest form of cartridge firearm made.

Edit: I see UncleFrank beat me to it.

Likely the suppressor bit was a one shot deal with rubber baffles or similar that get pierced by the bullet on the way out. Subsonic ammo of course and probably gel packed to further dampen sound.

I saw a demo a while back with commercially suppressed 9mm pistols. Shots were fired dry with various velocities including subsonic and then repeated with gel added. Subsonic plus gel was barely louder than a finger snap for the first shot, with subsequent shots varying in sound level.

I am not getting how they are getting velocity and reduced sound- cartridge at zero barrel length does not seem like you are gonna get much energy in the round.
I will jump on a ballistics calculator and see if they will run the numbers on a very short barrel length.

I am not getting how they are getting velocity and reduced sound- cartridge at zero barrel length does not seem like you are gonna get much energy in the round.
I will jump on a ballistics calculator and see if they will run the numbers on a very short barrel length.

The OP said they were fired by pulling back and releasing the back end, which makes it a well-built suppressed zip gun. Very good chance the actual construction was a short barrel integral with a long small diameter suppressor.

The Mossad's favorite weapon for assassinations is a silenced 22 caliber long rifle pistol. Many of their enemies have been silenced using that tool. Pops through the skull easily, then rattles around inside the brain pan.

The wording say that the round is at the tip. I first assumed that a firing pin mechanism was at the back.

Round at the tip is a Bang Stick as used on sharks. Has to be forcefully thrust against target in order to fire. The force of pressing against flesh likely would muffle some sound but a zip gun with integral suppressor is a more likely choice for professionals such as Sayeret.

Round at the tip is a Bang Stick as used on sharks. Has to be forcefully thrust against target in order to fire. The force of pressing against flesh likely would muffle some sound but a zip gun with integral suppressor is a more likely choice for professionals such as Sayeret.

Yeah- I have this ideal in my head that the gas injection is the goal of a bang stick for sharks but could be wrong.

Ha- and I am guilty of holding a "common misconception"....:

"A common misconception of how powerheads function is that the muzzle blast does the damage, as much high-pressure gas is forced into the flesh of the target. While the gas does do minimal damage, it is ultimately the penetration of the slug that causes the damage to the target."

Powerhead (firearm) - Wikipedia

Ever smashed .22’s on the ground With a hammer??

I can tell you they DEFINITELY have a report!

They also have next to no velocity, one shot my buddy point blank in the calf and he screamed and fell down.

I checked on him and he’s all like “I’m shot, you shot me!!”

We looked at the spot and there WASN'T even a red mark!

Then we went back to smashing more bullets.

The Mossad's favorite weapon for assassinations is a silenced 22 caliber long rifle pistol. Many of their enemies have been silenced using that tool. Pops through the skull easily, then rattles around inside the brain pan.

Is that what is called spalling ...

Thinking about watching the Munich movie today. The lady was fine. "What a waste", I think she used those very words before she got zipped.

Ever smashed .22’s on the ground With a hammer??

I can tell you they DEFINITELY have a report!

They also have next to no velocity, one shot my buddy point blank in the calf and he screamed and fell down.

I checked on him and he’s all like “I’m shot, you shot me!!”

We looked at the spot and there WASN'T even a red mark!

Then we went back to smashing more bullets.

We got ahold of a big handful of rifle rounds and decided to toss them in a fire to see what would happen - I distinctly remembering rounds zipping overhead as we took cover.

I have mostly heard that physics wins that the component with less mass it the one which accelerates so the case flys off and the bullet not so much.
We also used to pry the bullets out of 22 lr rounds with our teeth and set the case on the ground with a little trail of powder to it to make sort of reverse mortar rounds- it worked- with a nice pop the case would launch as the primer went off.

It was all a lot of fun till my dad caught us..
I think he was mostly worried we were getting lead poisoning by chewing on those bullets- he was probably right.

The "guns" in the movie are bicycle tire pumps. I have a couple of identical ones from WWII, one has clips to mount it on my 1941 Indian army bike. You could certainly make a gun inside one, but I doubt that they did. All they had to do was make the movements like they were shooting and let the post processors fill in the sound and bullet holes.

Bill

The Taliban used a video camera to eliminate one of the warlords.....right in front of his bodyguard.......One time ,cane guns were popular,then of course the common 22 penguns.....but no one uses canes ...or pens....anymore .....Once I experimented with extra long barrels.....hydraulic tube in the max length available ,four metres.......The 11mm ID size is good for .44 components,and the tube has a very smooth shiny swaged finish inside and out......The expected absence of noise didnt eventuate .

The "guns" in the movie are bicycle tire pumps. I have a couple of identical ones from WWII, one has clips to mount it on my 1941 Indian army bike. You could certainly make a gun inside one, but I doubt that they did. All they had to do was make the movements like they were shooting and let the post processors fill in the sound and bullet holes.

Bill

Funny. Real war it's the reverse.

Air power comes by and makes the sound and the shell craters FIRST.

Since they seldom hit anything but common dirt, a four-duece mortar team takes care of the actuals.

It doesn't seem to matter if those wasted heard it coming or not.

Back