What's new
What's new

SMLE barrel vice insert

Cleko48

Plastic
Hi,
I need to take two barrels off two SMLE drill purposes (DP) marked rifles for a friend. Since the actions are marked DP he doesn't trust them, but he wants the barrels. The barrel behind the sight is .729 and 2 inches further back it is .749. I have a barrel vice. Recommendations on how and what to bore the blank bushing for the barrel vice.
Thanks

Smelly barrels are never very tight .....all Ive ever used is a slightly modified shifter to fit the taper of the knoxform and the small flat....A fancy one would have a conical bore to suit ,with tapered wedge to suit the flat, to tighten the whole thing up.

Bore it to .750" then use a bedding compound to make it fit.

MilGunsmith, The more measurements I take the more your suggestion seems best. It turns out the barrel is actually oval with the top to bottom being about .005 less that the side to side dimensions.

Smelly barrels are never very tight .....all Ive ever used is a slightly modified shifter to fit the taper of the knoxform and the small flat....A fancy one would have a conical bore to suit ,with tapered wedge to suit the flat, to tighten the whole thing up.

John.K, coincidentally these two actions are Australian.

Just because a gun is stamped DP ,doesnt necessarily mean there is something wrong with it.......Also applied to old and surplus guns to requirement.......Id carefully inspect the wear spots like the locking lugs,bolt head thread ,etc for wear.......there may be none,if the barrels are 100%.,and the guns actually in good order..............................And,I would not grip a SMLE barrel anywhere but the reinforce,smelly barrels are quite thin ,and may be easily squashed,or twisted.

Back