What's new
What's new

Source for Gunsmithing Screws

That is a really odd thread spec. Have you tried gun parts places for the specific piece you are working on? I tried McMaster-Carr and they have no 8-30 screws.

CPA Rifles has some 9/16" long ones for a Stevens forearm.

Definitely for a bastardized Stevens 1894. Need the forearm screw(s). One for a old 25RF barrel and one for a repro 22RF barrel. If you have them let me know if I can buy them from you.

As crazy as it sounds, try your local Ace Hardware. The one near me has one of those cardboard box/drawers things that is full of various Gunsmithing Screws. I looked on their site and it does not have a listing for them. You may have to look on your own rather than a phone call asking about gun screws. This site has all sorts of specialty taps and dies.... they do have listing for a 8x30 die High Speed Steel Round Adjustable Dies, Special Thread to 1/2"

It is important to remember before designing a gun, gunsmiths talk about the requirements. I don't think it is hard to find 8-30x3/4" and 8-30x5/8" machine screws; cheesehead style. It would be best to try looking for them in your local or construction store. If you don't need the screws immediately, you definitely could find them online. I once ordered something from an online site, but it arrived when I already had found and bought screws from a hardware store. It took them too long, so I suggest you to better try and find them in stores.

One of the discussions I have with new engineers when they first visit my shop is about using standard size off the shelf fasteners and hardware. I have had them spec out .248" dia. pins when a .250" would work. When asked the response was that the calculated out that was the size they needed for the strength. When multiple pieces are needed, being able to buy off the shelf parts and tooling saves money and time.

I have had them spec out .248" dia. pins when a .250" would work.

Sounds like their education was lacking real world experience, both their own and that of their profs.

It is important to remember before designing a gun, gunsmiths talk about the requirements. I don't think it is hard to find 8-30x3/4" and 8-30x5/8" machine screws; cheesehead style. It would be best to try looking for them in your local or construction store. If you don't need the screws immediately, you definitely could find them online. I once ordered something from an online site, but it arrived when I already had found and bought screws from a hardware store. It took them too long, so I suggest you to better try and find them in stores.

DANG it!! Fresh outa 8-30's. Better get to Coast to Coast Hardware. Maybe pick up some Harley parts while I'm there...

Guys, this thread was necro'd by a search engine optimization spammer. Please stop rewarding them by responding to (and worse, quoting) the link they were trying to promote.

I have had them spec out .248" dia. pins when a .250" would work.

Sounds like their education was lacking real world experience, both their own and that of their profs.

The colleges that they go to have removed all hands on shops due to liability. Most have never actually made anything or know how tools work. Its all theory now.

Back