What's new
What's new

Southbend lathe for sale

speerchucker30x3

Titanium
This just came up on Kijiji Canada and if anyone is looking for a gunsmithing lathe it might be worth checking out. It looks like an old 13X52. Hard to say what shape its in but going from the photos, not so bad. If I didn't already have a second machine in the works I'd be driving to Calgary tomorrow. Not that I'm a Southbend fan but it is a great size, single phase 220 and parts can be had.

Lathe South Bend 1 Hp - Alberta Power Tools For Sale - Kijiji Alberta Canada.

The South Bends with that style QC gearboxes are quite OLD lathes. If you see a gearbox with a handle sticking up out of the top,it could be from the 30's,IIRC. Not sure when they went to the 2 levers in front type QC. I'm sure someone in the South Bend forum here could elaborate. Unless the lathe has lived a charmed life,chances are it has too much wear,and the bed could be permanently warped if it was not correctly leveled,and left to sit on an uneven floor.

So,be careful when thinking about a lathe that old. I used to rebuild lathes years ago,and did rebuild one like that,actually. In 1959,when I was in college,I used that same model in machine shop. The lathe was a LOT younger then,but it still would turn .015" larger near the center in a 2' long piece of brass.

Back