What's new
What's new

Stock duplicator

Vee1948

Plastic
Has anyone made a stock duplicator? I can’t afford to buy one and would like to make my own. Are there any suggestions or tips?

The tool and die maker I trained under had a stock duplicator rigged up; he made his own blackpowder rifles, from forging and rifling the barrels to heat treating his own locks and springs. It was basically a geared down hydraulic follower lathe, and a router fixtured onto the tool post, if I recall correctly. The master was chain driven off the blank with a bicycle chain and sprockets, to keep them rotating at the same speed. I never saw it running so I can't give you any more than that, but I imagine if you had a lathe with a taper attachment, you could get a similar effect by swapping the taper bar for pair of centers.

The Les Brooks duplicator is a good one, he has a video also. Get in touch with him, he is a master gun builder and stock maker.

Brooks duplicator below:

2yHQIaw.jpg

wmHgGp5.jpg

I have a NorthStar, an unusual machine:

X7QTTlp.jpg

I have a friend who has one, a North Star 2 spindle that he would like to sell. I'm not sure how much though but could find out if your interested in a factory made one.

I have made a few with hammers, chisels, and rasps. Fore stocks are tedious. They never seem to look right until they are checkered.

I used to enjoy some of the more primitive arts. Don’t worry, I’m well past that now. It was a monumental waste of time when you consider the cost of a nice replacement stock, and I have yet to make any money with a bang bang stick.

How do you make the first one to duplicate from ?

By hand as the previous poster said.

Or modify an old stock. Add wood, use bondo, to get the stock to your desired dimensions. I have maybe 50 patterns, the ones in the photo below are the most used.

Determine your dimensions the make the pattern stock to fit: Proper length of pull, drop at comb and heel. cast off, toe out, butt plate size, etc. A properly fitted stock makes a lot of difference in sight alignment, recoil management and handling. Iron sighted rifles, especially big bores, need a lot of cast off and drop to be useful.

I make a functional pattern, properly bedded to the barreled action, before making the final stock. The pattern is used in test firing the rifle to ensure proper fitting. Then the final stock is duplicated.

If you want I will put up some photos of making patterns.

69kyGG7.jpg

Why not draw it on CAD once...

Nice drawings are a good thing, but you still have to go through the exercise of making a prototype and changing things until the stock fits. There is more art than science to making a good fitting stock. The prototype, after modifications, turns into your pattern.

The real work in duplicating stocks is in making the patterns. Once the pattern is successful, then start cutting into expensive wood.

I am having trouble getting on the accuratereloading web site. it will not allow me to send him an email. I don't have his phone # either
Hope some one can be of help.

Back