What's new

STRAIGHT barrel bores

• Thread starter lc
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 2,377
L

lc

Anyone care to give an opinion on a worth of a barrel that has a bore straight within a couple tenths for the full length with less stress than a drilled barrel would produce? Course the rifling would change the last.

Not sure I understand, do you mean uniform bore size from end to end? What I think your saying is you know how to EDM the bore insted of drilling it so the hole don't walk off center.

Well, to a practical person it's worth no more than his current barrel unless he can shoot better than his rifle. Noting such, it's probably worth, oh, $500 a whack to benchresters and $800 a whack to the 'super-accurate-tactical/sniper' crowd. This of course assumes that the rifling is of commensurate quality and ignores the fact that establishing a 'name brand', necessary to command such prices, is difficult.
Other thoughts:
If you're going to EDM the bore, can't you EDM the rifling too? (all at once.)
How would this compare with a hammer forged barrel for straightness and stresses?
GsT

It looks as MAB tries to produce barrels much the same as most of the USA makers. Nothing revolutionary. They cannot drill a straight bore consistantly with their machinery. Don't get me wrong, the USA barrel makers have much the same problem. Unfortunately a straight drilled and reamed blank does not always make a good shooting barrel. Butch

Kurt, no and yes.
Gene, I can't imagine the hammer forged without much for hammered in stresses. Then if you want it straight you either bend(stress) it or leave it, right? Guess it would be good to sink the rifling too. And finally, what for? What am I missing?

I can see were EDM would have some advanage over drilling, mainey the use of more wear resestant steels. The way I understand it barrel steel is a trade off between durable and machineable. Being able to sink the twist at the same time would sure be a plus time wise, and cost wise. Is there any scale left after the EDM that would deed to be removed? As to price, I think if you got much above $300 they would not sell. I've been knowen to be wrong.

I'm unsure of the stresses left by hammer forging, but was thinking they ought to be pretty uniform. Since the barrel is formed around a mandrel, it should be extremely straight. (I could be wrong.)
The Expo is a gun show. I suspected (apparently incorrectly) that you might be a fellow from Eugene with a large inventory of BP guns. (Don't recollect what gave me that impression, something from a previous thread.)
As for cost, I based my estimates on the following:
(All assuming you can create the brand name recognition of course.)
A superdeeduper Krieger can run you $550, and they seem to sell. A replacement Schneider for a Tubb2k is $475. and the 'tactical/sniper' crowd seems willing to pay exorbitant prices for anything that will buy them yet more accuracy than they can use. (There are probably a few who can use it, but they are indeed few relative to sales volume.)

Nope, no black powder stuff here. The guns shows closer to home are more my thing. I usually go as far as Rickreal(sp?).
Kurt, being able to sink the rifling would really complicate things it seems. Maybe someone has an simple idea but I don't see it.

Why dont you go all the way? Make your super straight barrel smoothbore, put the bullet in a sabot load the sh-- out of it like the new military tank rifles are shooting,get the barrel to the right length so the harmonics are correct and put them all through the same hole at 1000 yds.

Back