What's new
What's new

Need opinions on tooling

Turner421

Plastic
So I am very new to gunsmithing and running a lathe. I can’t decide on what turning and threading tools to buy? I bought a cheqp set of 3/8 tools of amazon with carbide inserts. They work well enough, but an old machinist buddy of mine says I need something more robust. Can you guys help me out please?

Help us out- what’s the lathe you have and what are you making? And what material?
Based on your info, I’d default to a 20x80” 20hp min :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

my issue with the bulk buy brazed carbide is poor finish.
you need a quality grinder to clean them up.

yes give us more info

I had a similar set for my 13” South Bend. I had two sets of inserts, one for Al and the other for steel. I got decades of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m not an hss guy anymore, even though I started with them. I prefer iscar 3/4” tool holders with kennametal inserts. I use the cheap Chinese ebay carbide insert tools and inserts for crap steel and they work great.

..... an old machinist buddy of mine says I need something more robust......

Why? Can your lathe use more?
Are you making normal sized guns or ones for tanks and battleships?
Bigger machines can use bigger tooling when needed. Small and fine work is best done with what looks like wimpy tools.
Assume your current tools are like the Rouse set pointed to above.
While workable and I do use this style in-house the problem with them is that they locate the insert off of one wall only so sometimes (often?) things move on you.
They will cut a "kind of thread", .....just not a real nice one....... Yes I've done it with this tool set way more than once and had workable results but I'm a hack.

Fixed pockets are simply better all around.
Turning tools this means two walls. Not sure you want to go into negative tooling as smaller lathes are not happy in this world of carbide.
In threading it's mostly ER laydowns or Top-Notch type.
A top notch will also do accurate grooving, a older version of such is the standup triangle TN- NG, NV, NA which also works well in low-mid hp applications. The ER world gets confusing if you have many different threads.
So many choices....:willy_nilly: ..Life was easier in the old days.

Beware insert prices or capability of use. The Pez dispensers are cheap overall. It's the candy that goes in them that picks away at your wallet.
On the other side of the equation inserts are like Doritos "eat them up, we'll make more". :)
Bob

Look on eBay for a carbide insert holder WITH some inserts. They can be found relatively cheap. I tried some Chinese ebay inserts in my threading tool and they actually work fine. 3 tips to an insert will allow a lot of usage.

What exactly are you trying to machine? How often?

I’d get some cheapos for now to practice your feeds and speeds on scrap. Right speeds and feeds can make the cheap inserts look great. Wrong speeds and feeds can make sandvik inserts look like crap.

Ps- 3/8” inserts are fine for taking a tenon from 1.250 to 1.0625 ish. 700 rpm with .010” feed and .030” cuts. Get a decent 1/2” threading tool and take light passes after the initial scratch pass and the first .010”. Lots of techniques. All work. This stuff isn’t cosmic. Very basic stuff just takes practice.

Look on eBay for a carbide insert holder WITH some inserts. They can be found relatively cheap. I tried some Chinese ebay inserts in my threading tool and they actually work fine. 3 tips to an insert will allow a lot of usage.

What exactly are you trying to machine? How often?

I’d get some cheapos for now to practice your feeds and speeds on scrap. Right speeds and feeds can make the cheap inserts look great. Wrong speeds and feeds can make kennemetal inserts look like crap.

I first smithed firearms 12 years of age...square threads rebarreling an original Rolling Block. Unlike other consumer products, gun steel has not degraded with time. Those grades cut so well, money spent on inserts is totally pointless. In fact, even against a CNC lathe, I'll bet only 2 out of 10 people could positively differentiate proper manual single pointing from automated; both finish and tolerance.
Being equipped and knowing how to prep an HSS bestows talents beyond glaring at monitors,ordering inserts. Especially when you lose your last insert 2:00 AM.

Learning how to use and make hss is fine, but carbide saves so much time. It’s easy and you won’t run out at 2am if you keep a few on hand. Each insert has multiple cutters on it. They last a looooong time

guess what
THEY MAKE HSS INSERTS

Learning how to use and make hss is fine, but carbide saves so much time. It’s easy and you won’t run out at 2am if you keep a few on hand. Each insert has multiple cutters on it. They last a looooong time

guess what
THEY MAKE HSS INSERTS

Very aware of that, thanks.

OP, as Mike in CO has illustrated, people are very passionate about their tooling and why they use it. Find someone that does what you are doing and copy their tooling. I bought a bunch of hss to start and now it sits on the shelf while I use my carbide (not hss) inserts. Either way, good luck.

I am also new to manufacturing, having worked on guns for years and years, I finally decided to up it a notch and got my 07 license this month. Not intending to hijack the thread, so if its better to start a new thread, please let me know up front and I will comply.

I would appreciate some direction into a CNC late and laser engraver machine, nothing high end commercial at this point, but more entry level. Second hand is welcome as well. I already work with a mill/drill/lathe combination which is good for small stuff and barrels, receivers, etc. albeit much more manual and slower. Since I am manufacturing, I would like to go to something I can manage both aluminum and steel for manufacturing receivers for both modern sporting rifles and bolt actions. I'd like to be able to thread as well. Either or both need to be able to do ATF compliant engraving at .003" deep by 1/16" or larger print.

As far as the space requirements, both machines need to stay close to a footprint [not working footprint] of 48 by 36. I have compressed air and ventilation available already, Its just a really small space to start working in.

Thanks for your help. I've already been looking around and found one CNC for $5000 I possibly could work with. The laser engraver I found ranked about $45K, a little out of my league at this point.

GodSpeed.

Back