What's new
What's new

Stuck Spring in blind hole

OakCityArms

Plastic
Im not sure if this is machining related but i thought id ask anyway.

I have a customers lcp 380 that has the extractor spring stuck in its blind hole. Its rusted and corroded but has been soaking for 30 hrs in penetrate oil. Spring is so stuck that its broken off down in the hole.

Its an external extractor but its so small i cant get a drill or anything other than a pick in it.

Any ideas on how to remove the final 4 or 5 coils??

Here's a couple ideas.

Take a thicker piece of spring wire and narrow one end to a point on the grinder like you were making a scribe. Using a set of pliers, bend the point over into a small hook. You might be able to catch one of the remaining coils and pull it out.

I had a rusted extractor spring and it's plunger stuck in a S&W model 41 a few years back. I couldn't reach it with a drill bit alone. I found a drill bit that fit the plunger hole well and used it to drill a hole in the end of a steel rod. I then glued the bit into the hole, and the rod combo was long enough so that I could reach the hole and drill the plunger out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Maybe run it through a cycle or two in an ultrasonic cleaner. Might free it up enough to make the other suggestions work better.
I have an LCP II and it sure is pretty tight quarters in that location. Wonder how Ruger put the hole in there in the first place. Slightly angled through the ejection port??

If nothing works, try a fish hook bent to reach into hole. Cut the point shorter if needed to allow barb to reach top spring coil.

RWO

If you’re just using a standard drill set that only goes to 1/16” as the smallest size, then I can understand why you can’t get a drill in the hole. Number size drills go a lot smaller than that and are available at most hardware stores. I suggest trying the appropriate number sized drill in a pin vise (i.e., turn it by hand). If you’re careful, it should remove the spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had good luck breaking rust loose by packing the hole with vasoline/petroleum grease. Let it sit for a couple of days, then try the numbered drill trick in a pin vise. Better still if you can score a left hand bit. That's a real PITA location to work in.

I like the fish hook idea. Nice trick to remember.

could you use a similar sized spring pulled out some like a cork screw and wind it into the hole? If the last coil on the end was cut off and bent back slightly it might hook the broken piece and could be pulled out.Jim

Get some tiny music wire that would fit inside the coil of said spring.

Make a thin area on one end then bend it 90 degrees and grind the point such that it fits inside the coil of the spring and does not protrude outside of coil.

Now bend opposite end so you can grip it.

Screw it into spring and pull out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Turn a piece of stock to fit the hole. Tap the stock on the broken spring to compress it and free the bond. Remove pieces as they break or loosen. Got Kroil?

I've never tried it with a spring but I've removed blind bushings hydraulically with modeling clay and a tight fitting punch. Might try a tiny bead of modeling clay dropped inside the spring, insert punch, hit the punch. Add another tiny bead of clay, hit the punch. Etc, etc, etc.

I'd try use just enough clay the first time to get under the end of the spring to get it started. Although, using a lot might get in between the coils and expand the spring enough you could get a bite on it with a screw or whatever.

IIRC ATF is a rather good penetrating oil. Google is your friend. It may have been a mixture of ATF and acetone. ;-)
Maybe try a left hand drill bit.
I desperation take it to a shop that does EDM and has a hole popper. Works for broken taps, etc.

Use the same size spring or the broken part - it will be the same size as the chunk in there, just thread it in and pull it out.

Back