Swedish Mauser barrel question
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just got a 'new' Swedish Mauser from my Dad as a replacement for mine that was stolen from my truck a while back. When I pulled it out of the case, the first thing I noticed is that the barrel is threaded from the muzzle back to the front sight (the threads are nicely covered with a piece of plastic tubing).

My questions are: 1. Is there a piece that screws onto the barrel here? (my old one did not have this, the barrel was not threaded on the end) 2. Where can I find such a beast (if there is one)? 3. Is this some gun grabbing liberal leftist means of preventing me from mounting a bayonet on the rifle? 4. Anyone know the rough approximation of the Swedish steel that was used in the manufacture so I can match it fairly closely if I need to make one myself?

I wish to keep it in military form, not sporterize it. On this one, all the numbers match, it's not built up from various carcasses of other rifles with serious issues. The last one I had was great for rolling whistle pigs (a.k.a.: woodchucks, ground hogs) and I have missed it immensely since some @#$&!! decided they had a better use for it than me :mad:

Any info would be greatly appreciated [img]smile.gif[/img]

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is my understanding that the threads were for a muzzle brake, which was removed before sale in this country, probably due to the now sunseted Billius Clintonius "assault weapons" ban. There were thread protectors for them also. Don't know if either is readily available in the US or if they can be imported legally.

I meant flash hider; must be old age.

[ 10-03-2006, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: GGaskill ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That would be a logical explanation for the threads, but why would anyone need a muzzle brake on a 6.5 x 55 rifle? The recoil on these is almost non-existant (to me anyway )and I can't imagine that there is too much barrel rise with firing a bolt action rifle in 'rapid fire' mode. My M-1 Garand would be a better candidate for a brake than this little rifle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure about the muzzle break/flash hider use. I think the Swedes used wooden bullets for training exercises and a "splitter" was screwed onto the end of the barrel to break the wooden bullet up as it exited to limit it's range. I think there were threaded caps to protect the end. Search the surplus sites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen various muzzle protectors/ blank adaptors that threaded on to these rifles.

The wooden blank splitter is on of many options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The threads were for the installation of the blank firing adapter which split the wooden blank as mentioned above. There was a threaded piece that was screwed over these threads when the blank firing adapter wasn't used. They are few and far between.
    You can machine up your own by using what ever inch thread is close to the metric only sloppy. I had a gunsmith make one up for mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I was able to find a muzzle cap from Numrich that is Swedish military issue [img]smile.gif[/img] I will need to browse their selection a little to come up with some other odds and ends that I can use to cut the s&h charges a bit, but that shouldn't be too hard (s&h is almost the same as the cap itself )

I didn't check the threads to see what pitch they are, but it wouldn't be too much trouble to cut them if needed (unless they are a really unusual pitch, i.e., I can't get it on the lathe because they are 1.67 vs 2 - looks to be roughly 12 or 14 mm major diameter on the threads)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everything you ever wanted to know about these fine little rifles -

http://www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/