What's new
What's new

Tapered Gun barrel

Sophiedoc

Cast Iron
I want to remove about .109 from the chamber end of a barrel but the barrel is very tapered starting at the threads.What is the best way to hold this in the headstock chuck
to remove this stock,chamber etc.On removing the barrel it kept slipping forward in the in the blocks till we held it with epoxy.

It's not clear from your post whether you want to reduce the diameter by .109" or the length by .109"; if the former, simply hold between centers, turn with a dog on the muzzle end and a rotating center in the tail stock, and do it.

If the length, I would use soft jaws so I could bore a short length to muzzle diameter so I could both turn and prevent the barrel slipping deeper into the chuck. Then make a tight-fitting sleeve that fits over the shank. Hold the chamber end on a rotating center in the tail stock and true the outside of the sleeve (may have to loctite the sleeve in place first), then set the sleeve in a steady rest, remove the tail stock and face off the end.

If you don't have soft jaws for your chuck, you might be able to use a 5C collet with a stop inside, assuming you can find one of the right diameter (they come in 64ths) and your machine will handle them. Don't try gripping much barrel unless the taper is very slight at the muzzle.

sophiedoc

If you want to reduce the barrel length, wrap a short piece of very large diameter copper wire one turn around the barrel. Clamp the barrel in the chuck using the wire as the bearing surface. Chuck jaws do not contact the barrel. Put the chamber end on a steady rest, with the rest fingers on the threads. It won't go anywhere.

If you want to reduce the diameter - same thing only the chamber end is supported by the tailstock center.

Some gunsmiths use a hard O Ring in place of the copper wire but then you have to hunt for the right diameter ring, and sometimes they will break.

No rocket science involved here.

Ray

This is a device that I made up with a 1" shank (to be held in a 5C collet) and internal threads to hold a Mauser Model 98 barrel.
ColletCloser018.jpg

In actual use, the barrel is screwed into the fixture and the fixture is held in the collet.
ColletCloser017.jpg

As others have suggested, the muzzle end can be held by an emergency collet bored out with the barrel taper. I have a couple of those that I use, but no pictures yet. I can take one if you need to see it, but it is really pretty straight-forward.

Good luck!

Clemson

Back