What's new
What's new

Test bar and indicating pin

Schulze

Aluminum
Made a test bar tonight. Well I was going to make an action indicating pin but the tailstock was way out of whack. I got the taper down to about .0025 over 11 inches like 2 tenths per inch . Is that good enough to go ahead and cut the indicating pin? not exactly sure how close I need to be for this dang thing.

You forgot the email I sent where I said I put about 0.001" taper over a 2 inch length of the pins. I have three lathes in the shop, one is a 9 inch South Bend, which I leave about 0.001" offset in the tailstock. This is the lathe I turn the pins on.

The taper makes things easier. I push the pin in, then give it a slight whack with a plastic faced hammer.

Also remember that I tap the ends of the pins for a small slide hammer to pull then out.

And you need sets of pins for each bore size, my 30 cal. collection has about 7 pins. The aluminum pins will wear, so you need a good stock of 7075T6 for making more. I was making pins last week for a 458 barrel, already had 5 made, but this barrel was 0.452" bore, which is rather large.

A lot of folks use Deltronics plug gauge pins. I do not like them for a couple of reasons; they are not tapered, and they are hardened and ground. I don't like putting a hardened pin in the muzzle!!!

Back