What's new
What's new

Thread Killer

ulav8r

Cast Iron
I finally post on a thread and it disappears. The thread about how straight barrels might be and does it really matter.

They often just die after I post but this one disappeared.

Last edited:
If the question is too technical, it does not seem to get much response. Ask a question that is open to opinions, and you get a better response. Ask a question that is just plain stupid and shows you have zero idea of what you are doing, and you get LOTS of responses. Go figure.....

did you do a search? Assuming the post is in the gunsmithing thread, then select search, search single content type, select gunsmithing from the box below, if the post was recent, then choose a time from i.e., within the last six months and final put your user name in keywords box and go.
Using 6 months as the search period, I came up with 3 threads.

One of these the one you are looking for?

Tom

did you do a search? Assuming the post is in the gunsmithing thread, then select search, search single content type, select gunsmithing from the box below, if the post was recent, then choose a time from i.e., within the last six months and final put your user name in keywords box and go.
Using 6 months as the search period, I came up with 3 threads.

One of these the one you are looking for?

Tom

I am amazed at how anal this site is about making thread titles coherent to makes searches more reliable when the search function on this site is totally worthless. Any worthwhile search of the site can only be done via Google...IMHO. Maybe that's the way the owner planned it.

Stuart

Did not do a search. I replied to the thread Friday night and there had been several responses to it this last week.

I did look at my "recent postings" and it was not there.

Probably a systems problem. I noticed that some of my postings have also disappeared. You might be able to retrieve what you wrote by opening up a thread reply and typing a letter. This will usually trigger a restore posting note at the bottom. Click on that and what you typed my be restored.

Tom

I am amazed at how anal this site is about making thread titles coherent to makes searches more reliable when the search function on this site is totally worthless. Any worthwhile search of the site can only be done via Google...IMHO. Maybe that's the way the owner planned it.

Stuart

He/they have no real choice in the matter. VB runs ONLY on a MySQL(+InnoDB backend) RDBMS. It isn't even OBJECT-Relational as far more powerful PostgreSQL is.

Now the crux of the matter is that a(ny) RDBMS needs to build indices if on-box searches are not to drive a server to its knees, resource-load-wise.

VB does make an attempt. You can see 'keywords' associated with postings.

Even so "you can't get there from here" because as the site content expands, the indices needed to categorize it eventually grow larger than the data they are trying to index! This seems to be under progressively harder applied limits as time passes. Searches have gone from decent to poor to nearly useless over the past 4 or 5 years.

Catch 22.

You'd have a seriously hard time trying to support a collection of forums as active as PM even on a "native" Object Database, such as Z-Server/Medusa, where Dublin Core Metadata replaces indices. It just isn't fast enough in OTHER areas. Actually, it is dead-SLOW, and needs "SQUID" to keep it from falling on its nose. Other caching accelerators don't do as well (BTDTGGTS). Squid has an arcane feature they lack that allows Zserver/Medusa to keep it aware "more cheaply" as to just how current its cached data is.

Catch 23.

End of the day, the massive google HP in the indexing game is all there is that can keep up.

Google is deeply "aware" of PM activity, watches it as it happens in order to do its own indexing effectively. Google has the server HP to JF dooo that.

No other search engine "race" even comes close.

Catch 24

No further effort on our part, nor more than what VB and PM's admin already do as to "salting" for google crawlers and trackers is required.

I have no special insight as to whether that was PM-admin's first-choice or not.

It is, however, a "no other realistic option" situation, like THAT or not.

Catch 25

4CW

Probably a systems problem. I noticed that some of my postings have also disappeared. You might be able to retrieve what you wrote by opening up a thread reply and typing a letter. This will usually trigger a restore posting note at the bottom. Click on that and what you typed my be restored.

Tom

Can't reply to a thread that is no longer there.

Can't reply to a thread that is no longer there.

Can't drink beer already taken away by serving staff who cleaned what they thought was an abandoned table, either. Doesn't matter, why, right, wrong, indifferent, or side-saddle.

Already dumped down the bar-sink drain. For WHATEVER reason.

Just go and start with a fresh one.

Or do without.

Can't remember what you posted? How important could it have been, then?

I remember what I posted. Others were arguing about how to indicate a barrel to keep the chamber in line with the bore and keep the muzzle square to the bore at the other end. The OP asked does it matter?* I talked about how I was trained and gave some opinions. Was curious to see responses but now I won'tknow what anyone else might think of it. Oh well, the*OP did not want to learn from others, just argue that his way was good and anyone who did it different was wasting time and effort.

Last edited:

Back