Through Bolt
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Through Bolt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just found this group and hope one or more of you can help with my latest project.

I thinking of puting a through bolt on my Stevens 44 1/2 action. I have the block for the action and stock bolt.

I'm not sure what kind of drill to use for drilling the stock. I don't think a regular twist drill is the tool to use. I was thinking of tww others types
    1 A Fostner bit or
    2 A regular wood Jennings bit (the old fashion type of bit used with a brace) but with the screw and one spur removed. This type of drill was used by old time ship wright and bridge builders to drill deep holes. I will be using a lathe to drill the hole so I'm not sure it will be work under powder.

Any suggestions
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

have done quite a few using metal twist drill w/ out problem, but drilling from both ends keeps runout to minimum .....clear bit frequently

did first one 55 yrs ago w/ brace& bit (auger ) ,decided i wanted more castoff , & after i spokeshaved into the canal , I made a ger.silver diamond inlay ...looked nice ,but bothered me so much ,i traded off the old hardware store double ......butt blank was HERTER deluxe bl.walnut ....think it cost $2.75 ....nice figure ,little open ,but took 20 line checkering ok
    best wishes
    docn8as

Barry Briscoe Guest

Don,
    You might want to stick a piece of masking tape on your wood stock to discourage splintering when you drill your hole.