What's new
What's new

Tight NATO reamers

NewGunPlumber

Aluminum
I'm looking at chambering a couple of rifles and would like to have the option of using both NATO and .223rem and .308 win ammo if required.

Has anyone here sat down and worked out what a realistic minimum spec chamber would be to suit both. Ie measured a good assortment of NATO and factory ammo and designed a reamer off of the ammo rather than just taking max spec cartridge design and reaming to that?

Yes, that’s where the wylde chamber came from for 223.
For 308 try the m852 , obermyer, Or the old Palma chamber.
The bigger question though is why? The above chambers were used to fit specific rules used in competition, which are really no longer in place. If your gonna go through the process of drawing up or using a custom reamer, load your own ammo tailored to the gun.

Ok good info. Main reason is I have a safe full of guns in odd calibres and custom chambers and would like a couple that can take any box ammo if required.

I'd like to keep the chamber as tight as practicle while still having the ability to use box ammo.

I have one rifle with the 95 Palma chamber so maybe that is is one off the list

I would try a box of factory ammo in your Palma chamber before rejecting that. Most factory ammo is made to fit the smallest standard chamber so I doubt that you would find a problem with standard reamer sizes.

Now you might need a custom sizing die to keep the resized cases small enough. A small base die might be OK.

Last edited:
If you want "assurance" of chambering any factory ammo, stick with a SAAMI spec chamber.

Back