What's new
What's new

Timney trigger on Ruger 77 Tang Safety model

JBCGUNS

Aluminum
Hi guys.

Just wondering if anyone has any trouble with Timney triggers on Tang safety M77 Rugers (the original 77 not the MkII).
I've fit a few Timneys to all sorts of rifles and tune plenty of other triggers but have experienced malfunctioning on two different Ruger 77 rifles.
The malfunctions include firing pin not fully dropping on round and then firing on bolt lift, and the firing pin dropping on operation of the safety to the fire position.
I have been carefull to ensure that stock inletting is sufficient and trigger gaurd is relieved to not put pressure on the unit and have a good understanding of the mechanics of the trigger but just find them harder to get right on this model.
Anyone else had similar experiences?

JB

The last experience I had installing Timney triggers on M77s was 25 -30 years ago... They pretty much just dropped in with almost no fitting. A LOT can change in 25 years though.

I've fit a dozen or so of these to mark II's and Hawkeye's and think that they are great. They drop straight in (barring of course the simple cut-out for the wing safety). I actually like Timney triggers and will continue to use them, just thought that there "may" be issues with the original 77 trigger kit.
JB

I had a problem child in a few months ago.

Bolt would lock up, not a good thing in bear country,

Early Timney was not as wide as stock Ruger trigger, allowing bolt lock to slip down alongside trigger, and disconnect itself..

The factory trigger has a circular recess to contain the lock..

I machined a thin plate (with a circular recess on top edge) to hold lock in position, and attached to trigger body with a 6-48 screw...

It also took a while bending tang safety rod, to get safety to have proper detent feel/function.

I am having a heck of a time I removed 77 receiver from stock the parts fell on table now i cant get the safety to work. I emailed timney for pics of the positioning of parts but so far no answer from them.

Back