Tips, Tricks, How to Lathe Head Stock Spider?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just recently got a 13X40 Lathe (Import) and need to find some information on where to buy or how to make make a head stock spider.

Thanks
    Jeff in ND

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While all lathes are different in detail, this is how I made spiders for two different SBs. A piece of heavywall tube of appropriate size was selected, and bored to be a nice fit over the protruding end of the spindle. It was drilled and tapped for set screws to lock it to the spindle. Then four holes located 90 degrees apart were drilled and tapped for the screws which make contact with the barrel. The clamp screws could be brass tipped, or a copper or brass strip can be used to prevent the barrel surface from being marked. The ID of the spider should be large enough to pass any barrel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As long as you are not trying to make money at it, build whatever you can. It is cheaper and give you experience. The only thing I can add about the spider is that some are threaded into the end of the spindle. However, since you are using it to align not hold the work, it does not need to be extremely robust. Slip fit with set screws works fine. Beer can or the aluminum tape that sheet metal workers seal duct work with will protect your barrel. Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To protect the barrel you can use plastic screws. The ones I use are the ones they sell at the hardware store for license plate mounting. They are easy to find, and cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Little squares of copper flashing make good shims to protect barrel surface and will conform to curvature. I have also used copper pennies, but that makes the job so much more expensive (VBG)

The Green Frog

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is a little trouble, but I made collets copied the ones by Mike Bryant of Bryants Custom Guns and Knives. Mike is a very educated and knowledgeable gunsmith. His website is a treasure trove of info. Thebarrelman

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info guys. I will start looking for the material to make one.

Good Hunting
    Jeff in ND

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Butch,

Do you have the URL for Bryants Custom Guns?

Thanks!

Mike Roesch

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here yo go:
    http://www.bryantcustom.com/

Good Hunting
    Jeff in ND

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jeff, the way that I built the first spider for my Jet 13x36 was to single point thread it to fit the threads on the end of the tailstock. Make sure that you get your setscrews in line with each other where they are directly opposite each other. I think 4 set screws are better than using 3. I used 1/2-13 brass tipped set screws and wrap the barrel with a strip of coke can where the set screws bear against the barrel. To get the thread to fit, I left the collar chucked in the 3 jaw chuck and removed the chuck with the collar in place to try for fit. If it doesn't screw on then reinstall the chuck and deepen the thread and keep going until it will thread on to the spindle. Its a little trouble (maybe a lot)to do this, but you just need to do it once as long as you get it right the first time. I saw L.E."Red" Cornelison's lathe and he didn't make a collar for his but just drilled and tapped the back side of the spindle for 4 set screws. I didn't like the idea of drilling and tapping the spindle, so is why I opted to build a spider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On my first two lathes I simply turned a piece that fit the OD of my spindle. Drilled and tapped then JB welded in place.

This time I took the extra time to thread my spider for the spindle.

Sure wish I'd been bright enough to leave it in the Chuck while trying it

Wally

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting topic ..
    I will say up front that I am new to
    working on rifle barrels ..
    The spider I made is similiar in most ways
    to that which is already mentioned with one
    difference. Instead of using a soda can or brass shim stock .. I actually made a collar made from teflon or delrin rod .. it slips over the barrel and is snug on the barrel at the point where the 4 "set screws" are in the spider.. then in this way the adjusting
    screws adjust the barrel inside of the collar without any damage to the barrel ..
    and the adjustment seems to be "smoother" ..
    I hope this helps ..

Randy