What's new
What's new

truing up a receiver

Dave in W.PA

Plastic
Strictly a hobbist speaking here. Don't hold it against me, I'm having fun and it's my own receiver.
Can I safely take .005" off a receivers lug surface to true it up without concern for going through any hardening? FYI it is a new Savage receiver and I just like to see if I can make it better and live to tell about it.
Thanks in advance.

Contact Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply, 419-695-3179, [email protected]. He can give you all the info you need on Savage's. 0.005" won't hurt a thing. Fred is in the business of blueprinting Savage receivers. He only charges 35 bucks to true the receiver, barrel nut, and bolt head. Forget the big bucks for Rems and Wins.

You don't have to worry about the lugs anyway because of the way the bolt head and baffle washer are designed.

Fred has all the goodies your heart desires as far as Savage's are concerned. He did one of my receivers and I have purchased all kinds of pieces and parts from him. I just bought a lathe, basically, just to do barrel chambering, threading, crowning and receiver work. Tired of "gunsmiths" doing me a job. Enjoy your new toy.

GreenWillyPeter at your service. Sunny days are coming...sometime.

There is absolutly no reason to true up the lugs on a Savage receiver. One of the neat features of the Savage action is that it has a "toggle" lug system. The locking lugs toggle on the bolt and self align. They are not fixed like most other actions. This is one of the reasons the Savage rifles shoot so well right out of the box.

Back