What's new
What's new

Turning brass

S2D

Aluminum
I wound up with some brass that has too thick of rim to fit my single shot rifle. (45-110)
Thinking of turning the rim down to proper thickness. Would it be best to take brass off the rear of the case or front of the rim?
How does one best chuck brass in a lathe? wood dowel?
Thanks
Brian

Front, otherwise you have to increase the depth of the primer pocket. I'd turn a taper mandrel, bore a hole through so you can remove them with a rod from the rear. If they run off center, you could try a live center in primer pocket.

I do this regularly, not on the case you have, but on others that require modification. I use a collet closer, and a pickle fork type set up spacer.
This sets the depth, and then use a parting tool to cut the profile that I'm after. I used to cut .30Rem out of 30/30 before I got lucky and found a batch.
How much do you need to remove? The spec is .070 thick, but all of my samples run .065 to .066, thats on 45-70, 90, 100, and basic brass.
you should be able to use .500 collet, and a .250 to .375 spacer to get clearance off the face.

make sure the rim OD is in spec, .600+-, that could be contributing to the fit problem..

I've got to do some measuring when I get back home to see where they are thicker. some just barely close and some I can only get the lever half way closed. (Win 1885)
Will check OD too.
When I insert the cartridge, I hear a little a click just as they seat

thanks

I've run into this with the related .45-70 case. I don't remember the SAAMI thickness spec off the top of my head, but the allowed tolerance is more than the maximum headspace.

It's best to turn the front edge so the primer pocket depth doesn't vary. You can ream the primer pocket deeper, but that's just an added hassle.

Back