Turning the shank
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What dia. do you turn your larg ring mauser barrel shanks? 1.1 is what I have done but man o man it sure is tight when I'm done threading it. Any sugestions? And I have chased out the recever and those threads look good. Thanks a bunch. Joe.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have only one sample but a take-off military 7.92X57 barrel ranges from 1.106" at the end to 1.107" near the front of the shank. Military barrels are usually really tight; much more so than necessary on a re-barrel job. 1.100" should be OK; did you cut the threads to fit the receiver or to measurement (wires)?

Don't forget that the threads are 55º instead of 60º (unless you recut them to 60º; although lots of 60º threads have been used on Mauser re-barrels.)

[This message has been edited by GGaskill (edited 04-30-2004).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

........I think if you check any aftermarket barrel supplier who offers threaded barrels you'll find them all 60* threads(except those using square threads).

I put some Dykem on the bbl threads and run'em in until they're pretty snug short and then remove the barrel to see where the problem lies. If it IS a real problem. Maybe your lathe is producing a little pitch difference?

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you, for your help. It turns out I just raised a really big burr on the threads. I lightly ran a file over the threads and had a really nice snug fit. The threads came out really nice, like a mirror. For my first barrel job I am real happy with it. Now I will have to wait and see how it shoots. Thanks again. Joe