Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Type 30 arisaka re barrel

Does anyone know of someone who makes a full long rifle length barrel for a type 30 arisaka action? Does anyone know if a type 38 barrel will fit on a type 30?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I doubt anyone makes those but if you have an old one then I’m sure it could be copied. Have you tried surplus gun sites like surplus rifle forum, gun boards, parallax bills, and cmp forum? Somebody may have one laying around.
    If you have to have one made be prepared to pay more than you would for a whole arisaka type 30.
    Have you thought about having it rebored to 7.7 jap? The rebore and rechamber would be about .$300 or so from JES.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The rifle itís self is a trainer but it was converted from a real type 30 so it is a real firearm. Itís one of 10,000 I know it converted in 30s and all they did was ground off the mum and paint it black and bore the rifling out. would it still be possible to do a Rebore at this point?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Iím still interested to know if t-38 barrel could be fit or modified to fit if a rebore is not possible. Cause it stands to reason that a type 30 barrel and type 38 barrel might be the same with a slight difference in sight placement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your barrel has to come off either you re-bore it, sleeve it (referring to y0ur other thread), or replace it: what about removing it, so that you can measure the threads and all other dimensions?

Paolo

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think Iíve given up on the idea of sleeving the barrel at this point as for removing the barrel I will definitely remove it. I donít actually have the rifle yet but Iíll have it in a few weeks for $50 I canít complain

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would any modification have to be made to the receiver to change the caliber to 7.7 jap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You basically have a $50 action you can do whatever you want with
    If it was my rifle I’d change it to some other caliber cheaper to shoot than 6.5 or 7.7 jap , especially since it has no collectors value.
    I’m not familiar with the dimensions of 6.5 jap as compared to 7.7 but a popular conversion for 7.7 rifles was using the same barrel and setting it back to 300 savage. If any 3006/308 case head will fit I’d rebarrel it to something in that family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    You basically have a $50 action you can do whatever you want with
    If it was my rifle I’d change it to some other caliber cheaper to shoot than 6.5 or 7.7 jap , especially since it has no collectors value.
    I’m not familiar with the dimensions of 6.5 jap as compared to 7.7 but a popular conversion for 7.7 rifles was using the same barrel and setting it back to 300 savage. If any 3006/308 case head will fit I’d rebarrel it to something in that family.
    The 6.5 Jap is a short cartridge, a bit shorter than a .308. The 7.7 Jap is an intermediate cartridge, .303 Brit with out the rim. Did the OP look into having the barrel rebored to a large caliber cartridge, say .308 or 7mm-08?

Edit: one thing to check, the 6.5 Jap is a semi rebated rim. So check to see if you go the reboring route, that chambering to another will clean up the present chamber.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This rifle was made as a trainer for a good reason because it was no longer serviceable in other words junk.They probably made it like the other trainers and ground off the locking lugs on the bolt.If you are trying to get yourself killed you are on the right track in other words leave it alone.Buy a type 38 or a type 99 if the barrel is bad than get a blank find a gunsmith who can cut metric threads and go from there I don't know why anyone here didn't have the brains or the back bone to tell you what you are attempting to do is a death wish!Prove me wrong go to any good gunsmith and tell him what you want to do and see what he says!