Vice Jaw liners
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vice Jaw liners

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just got a used Midway "pattern-maker" vice with wooden jaws with no lining. I am going to fit new jaws with a lining, for use with stock work.

I have been using a 6 in Yost vice and made several wood jaw sets, and one of these I lined with 1/4 in neoprene foam from a mouse pad, with the fabric side to the wood, using contact cement. It has worked well, and due to its thickness allows a bit of flex. All in all that has been an advantage as the jaws cetainly do not flex to the work!

With the patternmaker vice design the jaws can rotate to match the work, so I see no advantage in the neoprene (at that thickness).

I know leather is a traditional lining for vice jaws. Is this with hide side out? How is is secured to the wood?. Does thickness matter?

I am also considering a closed cell foam from a craft store. It comes in thicknes of about 1/4 in and about 1/16. It may not have as much flex as the neoprene in the 1/4 thickness, and I do not know if it will take a impression with use.

What else are people using for working with wood?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The best vise jaw liner I have ever used is here:
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=13965997

The stuff is incredibly tough and grips like you would not believe. It has a metal liner that you can bend and cut as required. I use it for both wood and metal parts that I want to be blemish free.

RWO