Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Are video games bad for kids?

.jpgI read recently 81% of 8 year old kids play video games. My thoughts on whether or not this is a problem and how we've worked with our kids who also love video games.
    I read recently 81% of eight year old kids play video games. This was reported as shocking and possibly very bad news. As a parent of older teenagers, I’m not so certain. Here are some thoughts I have as a parent raising two kids who love video games.
    The first time I saw the image above amazed me. I sat on a sofa behind my son to watch him play Assassin’s Creed, specifically, as he rode a horse up over a hill and looked down on Jerusalem. Except it wasn’t in the past few years. The moving world on the screen was the Third Crusade, 1189 to 1192. A few minutes later, my son was off his horse and stood on the church tower you see above.
    I began to understand what attracted my son to his games. While parts of many games are silly, games can be a sort of time travel, as in the case of Assassin’s Creed, or travel in a fantasy world. In the same way time travel would drag you out of your daily hum drum life, playing some of these games provides the same escape as a really good book or movie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Off topic for the gunsmithing forum.

I think all of these modern "kill em all " video games are kinda dumb.

BUT ! I remember as kid setting up little plastic army guys on a pile of dirt and shooting at them from "long range" with a BB gun. Also used Black Cat or equivalent firecrackers to make bomb craters causing the indestructible plastic guys to go flying about.

I also made a play gun out of a piece of pipe with a 2X4 wood stock.

To this day, I'm only wee bit "teched in the head". . . . .

3. Likes Adwcali, Illinoyance, Butch Lambert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by excello View Post
    Off topic for the gunsmithing forum.
    More like a spammer being first post

5. Likes Winterfalke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My advice would be to ask "What changes are you seeing in the child?".

If they still seem like a healthy well balanced child the video games are likely causing no harm and there is no issue.

BUT ...

If the child starts preferring the games to interactions in the real world and spends less time physically with friends they might be developing a problem. One warning sign is throwing a tantrum when they have to stop playing.

IMO the majority can probably watch violent entertainment and play video games without much issue but for a certain percentage it is toxic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like to steal a car in GTA4, then go to the park and try to run over as many of the Tai Chi people I can. Is that wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    I like to steal a car in GTA4, then go to the park and try to run over as many of the Tai Chi people I can. Is that wrong?
    Probably not, as long as you don't contemplate it in real life.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If theres something wrong with video games I’d say it’s not having anything to do other than play video games.

10. Likes excello liked this post
    Country
    NEW ZEALAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interestingly, my nephew (age 10) has picked up a Nintendo thing with graphics and games that look decidedly 80's - and has no less fun with it than a full 1080p Playstation4 thing.
    I certainly picked up on Doom 95 and asides from a fondness for side-by-side shotguns and leather gloves, it hasn't shaped my life.
    Short answer is no.

12. Likes Steven-Canada liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are bad for some children. Some of these school shootings would have happened in some part because of violent first person shooters. 99.9% of people would be unaffected by these games, but it is the 0.1% that become affected and potentially go on shooting rampages.

But notice how even though an extreme minority of firearm owners commit crimes, the discussion is to ban this and that.

There is no discussion to ban violent first person shooters because it affects an extreme minority.

It is the same old story. People want to ban things when said ban will not affect them in any way, shape or form. They have no interest how it might affect someone else. It is all me, me, me.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any kid used to video games is impossible to teach to run any kind of machinery requiring a gradual controll action,like hydraulic controlls.......the kids can only do the jerky movements ,which can even bust parts in some machines.....Sad part is some makers are modifying machines to suit these little a/holes.

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Video games are bad for everyone.

16. Likes digger doug, 1yesca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My nephew played a lot of video games 20 years ago. Of course, these were the early very primitive ones. He got an art degree from college and worked for a large promotional company, the lone Mac in a sea of PCs, laying out ads. He wound up running a department and doing IT work so video games shaped his life, probably for the better.

OTOH, I heard a psychologist for the US Army expound on the effect video games had from his viewpoint. In high stress moments people revert to their training. If that training is point and shoot, that is what they will do without thinking. The army teaches that with careful controls. Video games teach it with no controls.

This is not idle theory. A friend who was a door gunner in Viet Nahm, many years later mentioned that he was looking for a gun. I said "A country boy doesn't have a gun?" and he replied that he sold his guns when he got back from Nahm. He had gotten so used to shooting people that he was afraid to have one around. The conditioning a video games gives, where there is no pain associated with a hit, is worse.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Video games are bad. Welcome back to the 1990's. Pretty soon we'll all gather around and talk about how rock and roll music makes kids take drugs.

19. Likes AARONT, MihiT, lagweezle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Any kid used to video games is impossible to teach to run any kind of machinery requiring a gradual controll action,like hydraulic controlls.......the kids can only do the jerky movements ,which can even bust parts in some machines.....Sad part is some makers are modifying machines to suit these little a/holes.
    That's what I call "Bang-Bang" operation.

Watch a skid steer operator (remember Moonlight Machines debacle ?)

I absolutely hate to operate like that (my new backhoe attachment is not very smooth, and you end up jerking things) smooth, steady, and coordinated (multiple
    movements at one time) is so much more satisfying and enjoyable.

As my old flight instructor said "always stay coordinated" meaning stick and rudder.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Skid steers have become far easier to use,the real old ones would bash the head of any beginner,jerky movements or not.....now they are all computer controlled hydraulics ,and just about anyone can operate one......Same with excavators that have dig cycle controlled entirely by GPS and computer.....but some of the old Ford backhoes had a hydraulic brain that could dig automatically.

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You folks confuse control movements and movement control. It’s quite a different thing to use a file from steering a plane. I am proud of my dexterity with hand tools. Send me the greatest airplane or formula-one pilot and I shall show her/him something. People need electric tooth brushes because they can’t handle a simple one. Video games distract from real feel. There’s nothing to do about, humanity wants to be lazy, distant, outsourced, I don’t know how to designate it.

23. Likes MihiT liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanola View Post
    You folks confuse control movements and movement control. It’s quite a different thing to use a file from steering a plane. I am proud of my dexterity with hand tools. Send me the greatest airplane or formula-one pilot and I shall show her/him something. People need electric tooth brushes because they can’t handle a simple one. Video games distract from real feel. There’s nothing to do about, humanity wants to be lazy, distant, outsourced, I don’t know how to designate it.
    So you've never solo'd eh ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a news show on public television regarding video games. There's a lot to this subject, more than I could go into with a simple post. My opinion, they are bad in every way. Young people, especially boys, get so wrapped up in them.......have you ever seen a group of young people and all of them are staring at their phones. The social impact, the ability to converse with other people etc. IMO is all based on video games. I'm sure if you googled the impact of video games you would find plenty to open your eyes on this. Just my 2 cents.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think like anything moderation is key. An hour a day, only weekends, or a few hours a week is fine. 8 hours a day, not so good.

As a kid, prior to video games, we were pretty much turned loose on the streets to kill free time. Doing what ? Depends on who you were.

An upside to video games to a certain degree, is parents know where there kids are at. Downside is many let it be a full time baby sitter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    They are bad for some children. Some of these school shootings would have happened in some part because of violent first person shooters. 99.9% of people would be unaffected by these games, but it is the 0.1% that become affected and potentially go on shooting rampages.

But notice how even though an extreme minority of firearm owners commit crimes, the discussion is to ban this and that.

There is no discussion to ban violent first person shooters because it affects an extreme minority.

It is the same old story. People want to ban things when said ban will not affect them in any way, shape or form. They have no interest how it might affect someone else. It is all me, me, me.
    There is absolutely no evidence that supports video games cause violence. That is all a fallacy.

28. Likes MihiT, lagweezle, Winterfalke liked this post