What's new
What's new

Weaver scope base angles?

Zip

Aluminum
What angle is used to make a Weaver style base? If I remember correctly they are not true 45 degree angles.

Thanks

I was worried that I had built all my bases wrong. I have made 3 of them all with 45s. The attached photo shows a double 45 tool that I used on the last one, this was the easiest so far. Tool is spinning so it looks solid.

SavageBase#5.jpg

MSC catalog item. Mine is still here somewhere but I have not seen it in 6 months. A couple more photos, generating the radius and finished. The radius was generated using Guy Lautards method from his book Ball and Radius Generation. Used his ideas and made a CAD drawing to plot the curve.
savbas3RS.jpgsavbasefRS.jpg

I looked at the Harvey line and did not like all the clearance the cutter would make under the rail. One could shorten the cutter or modify it to cut an 45 underneath.
Here is the cutter I had, could not find it in the MSC catalog today:
3/4" X 90deg Double Angle Cutter
Remember how much you will be holding in the vice. Now you have lots of good choices. Harvey makes good tools, the cutter I used was purchased many moons ago but is still available and made in the USA.
savbase6RS.jpgSavageMoonCutterRS.jpg

I used to use MSC years ago but their prices got stupid (I DO NOT know if that is still the case) so I dropped my account there and have not been back. The price for the cutter you linked is VERY reasonable. Definitely worth giving that one a look.

Some of the Harvey tools are a bit spendy but they are good and they carry a few things that are just damn hard to find... I bought a 1/16" undercutting end mill from them about 15 years ago and still use it. I don't use it a lot but it probably has more hours on it than any other tool I own. It just keeps cutting. And I have a local distributor.

As far as the form cutter goes... I do not own one but if one were cutting a lot of rails it may be worth the money. It would be easy enough to shorten up if you gound the clearance to be an issue.

Back