What's new
What's new

Welding Remington receiver

dixrid2

Plastic
I'm well into building a custom Remington Model Seven. I want to hide the rear tang screw, and weld a threaded stud to the bottom of the tang for the mounting screw to go into. What type of filler rod would be best for this?....., and are there any hidden concerns with doing this? Thanks

yeah...that was another concern. I thought about plugging it with a set screw, peen it down solid, and just spot weld the bottom side......then weld the threaded stud to the bottom.

Are you a professional welder? 4140 is not 1018. I realize that the tang is not a critical locking surface but any welding is going to mess with the heat treating. Check out the lower temp, high strength solders. I expect one of them will be strong enough for your task.

Thought this over a bit more.......Think i will make a threaded stud, screw it in from the bottom side, low temp silver solder it to the bottom of the tang, peen and dress the top down to blend in,and drill and tap the bottom of the stud 1/4-28. This will accomplish my goal of hiding the screw hole.

I've welded them and I also weld the safety notch when I install a 3 position safety it's not a critical area or close to anything that is so pre heat well (400) and weld it up then slow cool (you can wrap a little insulation around it) that will help hide the color difference when finished. The most important thing to do is to clean out the threads with a tap the dirt and oil is hard to get out and will want to bubble out. There should be enough thread you don't need an extension. Another trick I use is a copper screw put in through the bottom as a backer so you only fill the top thread or two.

This was tig welded to my front ring and after all was done it went to Pac Met for reheat treating.

2s1n6te.jpg

Back