What's new
What's new

What is a .22 N.R.A. cartridge

lanb

Aluminum
I am in the process of transferring a 1921 Marbles Game Getter that has been in the family into my name. One thing I have been curious about is that the upper barrel is marked 22 S.L.LR. & N.R.A. and in searching the web I do not see any references to what was unique about the NRA round.

So what is a 22 N.R.A. cartridge?

I wonder if the NRA refers to cartridge. The S, L, and LR are no brainers. Maybe the rifle itself was a special issue related to the NRA.

Do .22 Rifles have titles in Colorado? What's to transfer? Dad gave me a .22 about 50 years ago, no title on that one.

Marble Game Getter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the United States, models featuring shotgun barrel lengths of less than 18" require a $5 transfer tax stamp and registration as an Any Other Weapon to be in compliance with the National Firearms Act (NFA).[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] Original Model 1908 and Model 1921 models produced before 1943 are Curios & Relics under US law, but are still subject to the provisions of the NFA if their barrels are less than 18" in length

Marble Game Getter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the United States, models featuring shotgun barrel lengths of less than 18" require a $5 transfer tax stamp and registration as an Any Other Weapon to be in compliance with the National Firearms Act (NFA).[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] Original Model 1908 and Model 1921 models produced before 1943 are Curios & Relics under US law, but are still subject to the provisions of the NFA if their barrels are less than 18" in length

O yeah, barrel length.

I would check and see if chamber is longer than .22 LR.

Not much on net about it. Other GG's were caliber marked the same..

Another place to check is... The NRA, I believe they have a historian there...

I am in the process of transferring a 1921 Marbles Game Getter that has been in the family into my name. [/QU

Do .22 Rifles have titles in Colorado? What's to transfer? Dad gave me a .22 about 50 years ago, no title on that one.

Actually it is not the gun that needs to be transferred but the $5.00 tax stamp without which it is illegal to possess the firearm. As another replied the GG in anything less than an 18" barrel is an Any Other Weapon.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one unable to decipher the NRA marking. I will at some point contact the NRA and see if they have an answer.

Once this firearm is back to being fully legal I will reassemble and check the chamber.

Thanks all for the feedback.

I am in the process of transferring a 1921 Marbles Game Getter that has been in the family into my name. One thing I have been curious about is that the upper barrel is marked 22 S.L.LR. & N.R.A. and in searching the web I do not see any references to what was unique about the NRA round.

So what is a 22 N.R.A. cartridge?

Because of the way they used a period to separate the Short, Long, and Long Rifle I'm guessing that N, R, and A are abbreviations for specialty cartridges and "R" probably stands for "rat" or shot cartridges. As for the other two? No idea right now but you have piqued my curiosity and I will look further including checking some reference books and some "reference" old timers I will be seeing this weekend.

Back