1954 Browning Superposed Choke Question.
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1954 Browning Superposed Choke Question.

I have a Browning Superposed 12 ga shotgun. How do you tell what the chokes are? It doesn't seemed to be marked on the barrels.

Thanks!

Todd

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SIP6A View Post
    I have a Browning Superposed 12 ga shotgun. How do you tell what the chokes are? It doesn't seemed to be marked on the barrels.

Thanks!

Todd
    In your case, machine shop & metrology goods available, rig yerself sumthin' to actually measure?

My 1920's Sauer und Sohn Dreiling, only because me late Dad did the research prior to 1950. Whole BUNCH of markings near the breech, once torn down, but most had to be researched painfully and tediously, pre-internet era.

If that tracks, the general practice was to apply cylinder bore to the barrel the front, else "first" trigger-pull controlled. That was a "set" trigger on the Dreiling, as it also applied to the 7 X 57 JR rifle barrel. That allowed best use with slugs, ball, or sabots, best aimed and fired barrel..

Choke the second barrel to optimize for use with shot, as for birds scattering...

Browning sales literature of the day might help?

I could be wrong.

I rely on a Remington 1100 with screw-in shorty-chokes lo these many years instead. Ain't got but the one barrel...

2 chokes worth

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The older Brownings have symbols, asterisks and etc, to indicate choke. Check page 11 from this old manual:

https://www.browning.com/content/dam...osedmanual.pdf

4. Likes SIP6A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

UncleFrank,
    Thank you for posting. I looked at the gun and there they were.
    Gun is full and modified.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFrank View Post
    The older Brownings have symbols, asterisks and etc, to indicate choke. Check page 11 from this old manual:

https://www.browning.com/content/dam...osedmanual.pdf
    Frank, you have answered a 64 year old question. In the end of 1955 I bought a Browning Superposed. The Browning warehouse was in downtown St. Louis then, so I made a deal with a gun store to trade in my Winchester Model 12, which I hated, on the Browning. I went to the warehouse and tried different stocks to find the drop that suited me and got one in improved modified and improved cylinder with a 26" barrel. The box, which I still have, has a printed label saying full and modified with hand written improved modified and improved cylinder over them. I somehow got the impression that the barrels started out with the tighter choke and were opened up later. The improved modified barrel patterns more like straight modified, but for birds and bunnies it was fine. Unfortunately, the instructions have been lost.

Anyway, your link solved the question. The barrels are correctly marked, meaning it came from the factory that way.

BTW, I have cleaned and oiled it, nothing more. One day soon I need to remove the stock and wash the mechanism with a solvent, then re-lubricate, because the oil has gotten stiff. That will be the first time a tool has touched it. You can't beat that for service.

Thanks, Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dad bought the Superpoised I have in 1954. Mine also has never had a screwdriver put to it. It has an issue with the single trigger selective fire. The first barrel will fire but when you pull the trigger a second time nothing. When you slide the safety back on you hear a mechanical click then sliding the safety off the second barrel will fire. No doubt an old oil issue. Never felt I was a good enough gunsmith to take it apart and not put a mark on it.